PDA

View Full Version : Help on buying filters

01-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone !!

I want to buy another filter for my 55 g-tank.

What filter provides better biological filtration?

Emperor 400B
AC 500

I like the Emperor more cause it has Bio-wheels......but i still need your opinions...

korbi_doc
01-07-2004, 11:58 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Bet it comes down to just personal preference. I have the AC300, & 500, & like the ease of use. The Em.400 looks to be similar, cartridges can be changed for foam pads & as you say has the biowheels too. My small one with the biowheel is ok, but think I still prefer the ACs. JMO, Dottie ;D

Carol_Roberts
01-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Aqua Clear 500. I started with the emperors and replaced them as they wore out.

The Aqua Clears (with two internal sponges) have way more area to colonize good bacteria, are quieter and easier to clean. Aqua clears don't lose their sipon when turned off like the emperors.

GulfCoastDiscus
01-07-2004, 12:28 PM
A sponge filter is the cheapest way to go. Each filter cost me approx. $3.00

Dan

01-07-2004, 01:09 PM
thank you for your opinions

Hi danDman

Is that home-made sponge filter? It looks great

I just bought a Hydro-Sponge V filter for $ 15.00 ...it's kind of expensive...

It is interesting when we make our own filters...

I should be heading to Home Depot soon....

Thank you for the pic..

GulfCoastDiscus
01-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Here's a better pic without the sponge.

Parts List for 1 filter

3/4" PVC
1- 45 deg.
1- cap
1-90 deg.
1- 8" this is adjustable to the height of your tank.
1- 4 1/2"

I'm glad I can be of help.

Dan

GulfCoastDiscus
01-07-2004, 01:31 PM
here's some details

I used a plastic tie to hold it in place.

Dan

GulfCoastDiscus
01-07-2004, 01:32 PM
I placed an airstone inside for finer bubbles. The airstone is not needed just preference.

Dan

PanFish
01-07-2004, 04:43 PM
DanDman,

Awesome illustration and ease of build, THANKS.

M0oN
01-07-2004, 08:25 PM
I'd stick with Aquaclear...I've owned both for years now and find that the Emperor spray bars get clogged far too often, they're much louder and in the Aquaclear filters more gph...

bikhu
01-07-2004, 09:04 PM
I currently am running both A's and th E280. I have a 55 gal with an AC 500 and a Rainbow sponge filter. I also have a 60 gal with 2 e 280's the Rainbow and a powerhead with a ac sponge on the intake. Albeit the 60 is much deeper and tends to be a little hardeer to filter the 55 is far easier to maintain. I have used a lot of different filters including hangons and canisters and at this point I am really sold on the Aqua clear line. So eay to maintain and do an awesome job. 2 sponges in the mnedia tanks offer a tremendous amount of surface are for good bacteria and with a prefilter on the intake tube it is just an awesome , cost effective easy to maintain unit. JMO but stick with the AC. The bio wheel is great on paper but I don't really see that it is such a great benefit.
HTH
peter

RyanH
01-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Dan:

That is a Hydro V replacement sponge isn't it?

Fish Addict:

You got robbed on your Hydro V.
Check www.kensfish.com
He has them for 7 bucks apiece.

hth
-Ryan

Richman
01-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Fish Addict

Emperors will do, buy AC is cheaper and better, as mentioned.

Dan

Great DIY sponge filters. I build them the same way with one exception. I go to the craft store and buy a sheet of 3 inch thick foam. You can cut several out of one 2 ft X 2 ft. block. Then I stack 2 on each filter. If I need to seed a new tank instantly, I just remove one and put it on a few filter along with a brand new sponge. Then add a new sponge with the old one. Works great.

GulfCoastDiscus
01-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Hi Richman,
I did them with different sponges in the past. I just like the uniform look of the hydro throughout all my tanks. I bought the replacement sponge from Jehmco. I bought 12 of them for 2 + each. So roughly each filter cost me less than 3 dollars.

Dan

Claw69
01-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Fish Addict,
www.drsfostersmith.com has all the Aqua Clears on sale right now. $28.99 for the 500 which is a steal.

Dennis

01-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Hi Ryan

not just the sponge.....the whole filter ....

$ 7.00 + shipping + waiting = .....?

Nightowl
01-08-2004, 03:47 AM
Fish Addict, if I had to choose I would go w/ the A/clear 500. You can use different media in it if you want, or the 2 sponges as most do. The biowheel filters are noisy and seem to splatter more water around the edge of tank if water level gets low....too much trickle, not enough flow.
I like millennium filters, owned now by Marineland but still good. good luck J.T.

RyanH
01-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Hey Fish Addict,

The whole filter is 7 bucks. Even if you only bought that one item and paid for shipping, you are still better off.

Molly525
01-08-2004, 06:14 PM
I have a 75 gal Jetstream with "giant" bio-wheel and Tidewater II sump filter which reportedly pumps 800-900 gph. According to my lfs guy who set it up, it should be overkill filtration. However it doesn't seem to me to do as good a job as back in the old days when I had an undergravel filter and Whisper HOB. After I got it cycled I had a green water algae problem, so I got a HOT Magnum and some DE. After that it was crystal clear...for 3-4 days. Now, even though I do approx 50% wc daily the water is kinda hazy blue. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are too low to register (below 20 is all I can tell). Is it the Prime I use for my wc's? Should I cut back on wc's? Do more?

From the front of the tank it looks okay, but from the side it has the blue haze.

All the talk of AC's and Emperor's makes me wonder if the bio-wheel/sump thing is not the best option. I got it cause I like the filter to be hidden and not hanging on the back, but mostly I want my water clear!