PDA

View Full Version : Is the female eating the babies?

Joao
01-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi there,

I have a new batch of babies around 50 or 60, allready swimming, male blue diamond , female spoted pigeon, 13 months old . It's the fourth time they laided eggs, first time they ate the eggs, second babies were about two weeks old and they started spawning and only saw the last babie been eated by the mom, don't know who ate the others (30), third time they ate the eggs, and now have fry .

The babies don't swim around the mom (spoted pigeon) they allover the dady wich is really dark, it seems the mom doesn't have much slime or the color doesn't atract them, they are in a 65 gal tank, lots of space but I think is not a good idea to move them now for a 20gal, any sugestions?
Now, my biggest concern, should I move the female, or is going to be a problem for the male.
Carol sugested me to put a divider, but my concern is how the father will get the babies that goes to the female side, it's a 65gal tank, and does the female will do the job , or because they separeted will tend to eat the fry?

Thanks for the comments, and your help.

Joao

RyanH
01-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Remove the female first. If they still get eaten then after the next spawn try removing the male.

Joao
01-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks Ryan.

RyanH
01-07-2004, 10:27 PM
No problem. I have a pair that I am having the same problem with. The male is actually the culprit in my case. The next time they spawn, he's getting DA BOOT! :)

Joao
01-07-2004, 10:37 PM
I was looking to the babies and I thought, let's take a chance, and zuum net on the female.
She's out of the tank, the male looks ok, will see if he can handle, I think I'm short in fry, that's why I didn't look back again...

Joao