PDA

View Full Version : sick fish...help

sparky
01-12-2004, 10:47 PM
i have some type of goldfish about 5". it has blown up eyes poped out scales sticking out. i removed it from the tank and none of the other fish seem infected. my daughter is woried about her fish. is he a goner?

KARINA
01-13-2004, 12:14 AM
this looks like dropsy to me , Dropsy is not a disease. It is, however, a sign of an internal bacterial infection. It is so often a symptom of bacterial infections which is of course contagious.

I found this for you hopefully that will help good luck!

Dropsy
Symptoms: Fish's abdomen is swollen and scales may stick out. Most common in gold fish. Dropsy is not a disease but a disorder caused by internal bacterial infections. It comes in 3 forms:

Acute Dropsy - Internal bacterial infection - see septicemia

Chronic Dropsy (cancer) - Internal organs become swollen. Fish must be isolated in early stage of disease.

Chronic Dropsy (parasites) - Swollen abdomen caused by parasites. Isolating fish prevents condition from infecting entire tank

Treatment : Maracyn-TwoŽ will cure some forms of dropsy. Others require more complicated treatment that is very stressful on fish and not recommended unless under professional supervision. (Remove any activated carbon from filter - it may take medicine out of water)

KARINA
01-13-2004, 12:18 AM
you might want to go to this page maybe you will get more info on what to do...

http://www.gmoon.freeserve.co.uk/tropfish/diseases.html