PDA

View Full Version : Pumping water upstairs from basement

JPW
01-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Information needed! ???

This is a 2 part question -

I would like to pump water from a 200 gal water holding tank located in the basement, upstairs to service my aquariums ie - for fresh water changes.
I will also "T" off the same line to supply water to the aquariums in the basement.

Height I need to draw water up-stairs is 30'

Would like advise on a type of pump needed.

Second question -

Best way to heat water in tank?

Thanks in advance of your suggestions

Jim

Mr. Limpet
01-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Jim, 30 feet is a long way up. You are going to need a big pump. I am guessing that you might need a smaller pump for the tanks in the basement, because a pump that can handle a 30 foot head will probably be way too strong at a couple of feet. Look at grainger.com. You might want to repost this in the DIY section also. Paul.

JPW
01-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the reply, I do have a Graingers catalog I've been looking at, even stopped by their catalog showroom, a couple days ago, they gave me a PH# to call for tech help. :banghead: They said they prolly have one in the catalog that would work. "DUH"

A smaller pump does sound like a reasonable option for what I need in the basement.

Now we are looking at options for heating water supply.

Thanks again,
Jim

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-14-2004, 03:45 PM
What about putting 2 smaller pumps in a series? They wouldn't cost as much as a big pump. Hook one up to the storage tank and run some hose half way up, add the second pump to finish the waters run.

-Ryan

Mr. Limpet
01-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Jim, the good thing about storage tanks is that you can insulate them all over. As long as you can fill them with warm water, a couple of 200W submerseable heaters would probably maintain the temp. Good Luck, Paul.

JPW
01-15-2004, 12:09 AM
LOL, Jean suggested we just use the spa tub we never seem to find time to use. ;)

But your right about insulation, I may end up building a water storage tank as I can't seem to find one BIG enough to fit through the door to the basement.

Looking at some water/fertilizer poly tanks
that will cost a good chunk of change!

still thinking the water pump issue -
so many ways to go..

Ryan, two smaller pumps may work?

It really helps with suggestions.

Thanks again
Jim

Martinphillip03
01-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Information needed! ???

Height I need to draw water up-stairs is 30'

Jim, Do you need to pump water vertically 30 ft or is it 30 ft from the storage tank to the fish. I believe 30 ft vertically would be from a basement to a third floor of a house

Marty

JPW
01-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Marty. I have to go up 15 feet, and across 15'
but you know, you gave me a great idea, I could put more tanks Upstairs! ;D
Sheese, this house has a small third floor loft too.....
but I'd better get a grip on this and keep it to the first floor, and basement!
before I'm in the dog house!

I did purchase a 4-MDQ-SC LITTLE GIANT PUMP on line today, it will give me enough head to pump upstairs.

Monday I pick up a 200 gallon poly tank. wish I could have gotten the 300gal but it would not fit in the basement door. But 200 gal will be enough, and easier to insulate.

Thanks again
Jim

jaydoc
02-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Jehmco has a 400 gallon tank that is 5' x5' by 30" Perfect to go through the basement door. Just thought you might want to know.

JPW
02-13-2004, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the info on the 400 gal tank.
Just for the heck of it, I called on the price.
$499.00 delivered
I did buy a 200 gal from Fleet Farm for $189.00

Nice people there to deal with at Jehmco!
Jim

alex_m
02-14-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi,

have you tried the Sea Horse by pentair aquatics?

alex

jeep
02-14-2004, 06:26 PM
If you're going 15' up and 15' across, you only need a pump that will operate to a 15'+ head. F&S has a Little Giant that pumps to 18' for $114 or one that pumps to 24' for $129... For a little more you can go with the Pentair that pumps to 53' for $200 ;)

brian