PDA

View Full Version : Finaly going BB!

tarzan
01-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi!

I've finaly realized that im spending more time on plants, gravel-cleaning, co2, watts pr. gal etc etc, than on my primary hobby - Discus!

I have a bunch of question about this converting-phase, and it would be realy nice to hear some of opinions :)

Converting

My plan is to setup a small temp-tank, remove my fish, remove my plants and then remove the gravel. Will this messing around effect my bio-system in any way?

Design

I realy think that the tank back and bottom should be white - the aquarium is located in my livingroom, and would look good. Is it true that Discus dont like their enviroment too bright?

I have some hardware i wanna hide. My plan is to hide them all in a pvc-tube with some holes. Are there some pvc-material which i should avoid?

Technical

My fish should look GOOD in their new enviroment! I have room for 2 "bulbs" Would a white and a blue bulb make my fish look more colorfull?

Thanx for your time 8)

Pick
01-13-2004, 11:52 PM
I'm short on time but I can tell you the conversion sounds fine. Just save about 25% of your Aq water with your fish in it, if you have power (outside the tank) filters, turn them OFF so you dont suck any debris into them, gently clean them, remove everything from your tank, clean the tank, add some dechlorinated water, add your old water and fish, top off with more dechlorinated water, and fire up the filters. If you have other type of filtration post and we'll discuss it.

TC

Carol_Roberts
01-14-2004, 01:29 AM
Hi Tarzan :thumbsup:
Converting

My plan is to setup a small temp-tank, remove my fish, remove my plants and then remove the gravel. Will this messing around effect my bio-system in any way?
When you move the discus to their temporary tank you will move the filters with them. You may lose a bit of bio, but it will bounce right back. Put the discus in 100% "aged" new water. There isn't much bio floating in the water. It is in the filter and some attached to the gravel, plants, etc.

Design

I realy think that the tank back and bottom should be white - the aquarium is located in my livingroom, and would look good. Is it true that Discus dont like their enviroment too bright?
I think it will be fine. I imagine the white will look slightly blue form the water anyway

I have some hardware i wanna hide. My plan is to hide them all in a pvc-tube with some holes. Are there some pvc-material which i should avoid?

Technical

My fish should look GOOD in their new enviroment! I have room for 2 "bulbs" Would a white and a blue bulb make my fish look more colorfull?
Yes, if you have white or blue based fish. If you have red based fish you may want one in that spectrum

tarzan
01-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanx for the feedback!

Another question: if i paint the glas with spraypaint - how long will it take for it to dry? how many times should i coat it with paint?