PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Discus Schedule

djknightingale
01-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Hello,

Could anyone give me some info on a good automatic feeder or some
other method to feed discus more than twice a day without being there.
I work an office job a drive a way from home, so I usually can only feed twice a day (morning and evening). I want to grow my juveniles and just like anything (including myself when I was young) when your growing you need to eat alot.

I am feeding a beefheart mix, frozen bloodworms, frozen brineshrimp,
and OSI Flake Food.

Of course I would only feed the beefheart when I am present and can
clean-up (water change/ bottom vacuum) afterwards, keep the tank as clean as possible - don't want to foul the water.

Any suggestions. Thanks.

dave

ronrca
01-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Welcome Dave,
Good to see someone from Western Canada here! ;)
Eheim autofeeder. Runs around $90 at Big Als. Excellant feeder that can feed up to 4x a day plus double feedings. You can also program the exact times to feed. I use dry foods like flake/pellet. :)
Then in the evenings I feed the frozen foods. ;)

korbi_doc
01-14-2004, 04:59 PM
::) ::) ::) $45 +S&h @ the Drs Fosters. I now have 4 & love'm for juvies. lol, Dottie ;D

djknightingale
01-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Great,

Thanks for the info. Great store that Big Al's.

dave

falcon
01-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Guys, on the topic of feeding juveniles. I find that they're not that much into active eating. My wife feeds them at around 11am and I usually feed them again at 6pm. At 6, they come to the front and at least seem to be interested in food, hungry. But they don't jump on it. They feed slowly afterward from the bottom. One time I tried to increase feeding times but when I fed them at 6pm, they didn't seem to be too exited and wanting to eat. I'm sure they probably picked at the food on the bottom, though. I try to vary the food as well.

What do you think? Should I still try and increase the feeding times to 3?

Carol_Roberts
01-15-2004, 12:41 AM
I feed adults twice per day, but juveniles really need to be fed at least 4 times per day for better growth

Miles
01-15-2004, 02:28 AM
The feeding sechdule around here is:
Adults, 3 times aday
fry and fish less than 6 months, 5-7 times
and they clean it all up.
Never feed the same item twice in the same day.
Miles

ronrca
01-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Excited or not, they will clean the tank from all food before the next feeding time (unless you are overfeeding). ;)

korbi_doc
01-15-2004, 01:37 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: My babies & juvies are fed 4X with the Eheim feeder (only one deposit) & then I feed tetra bits in early am, froz H.BWs after noon, & CBWs as a nite treat, so they get 6 or 7/day. The adults get 3 feedings/day. If I'm away, then I rely on the 4x for young'uns, only froz BWs once for adults if its longer than a few days & I can find someone to drop'm in. Dottie ;D I agree Ronrca!