PDA

View Full Version : The life cycle of hexamita

M0oN
01-16-2004, 06:25 PM
I have a hi-fin plecostomas I've been using to keep a cycle going in a 29 gallon tank I have set up for a pair of ocean green I'll be getting from Jeff at the end of the month.

It would appear that it has hexamita, I've noticed clear feces from it. However it is attaching to driftwood and the new feces coming from it is darker in color. Either way I would rather be safe then sorry.

What I'm wondering is if I were to remove the hi-fin and vacuum the bottom of the tank thoroughly with a 50% water change and then add 3 bronze cory cats that I have in its place what are the chance of them becoming infected?

I can't find any information on the life cycle of hexamita in open waters.

I'm not even sure the plecostomas has hexamita, based on my description from above what does everyone think?

Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
01-16-2004, 06:56 PM
Why don't you pull all the fish out and keep the filter alive with pure ammonia until you get your new discus from Jeff?

M0oN
01-16-2004, 07:28 PM
I've never done a fishless cycle so I wouldn't know where to begin on how much to add and how often.

Carol_Roberts
01-16-2004, 08:15 PM
It's simple - put a half a capful in the 29 gallon every other day or so. Do a 90% water change and rinse the filters in used tank water 24 hours before the discus arrive.

M0oN
01-16-2004, 08:34 PM
Alright, thanks Carol.

I moved the baby blue diamond to the 29 gallon and he seems to be doing fine so far, I'll be treating the tank with metro just to be certain before the introduction of the ocean green...if things don't work out I'll try your suggestion.

I really appreciate all the information, though.

yogi
01-17-2004, 01:32 PM
There is a debate over this, but one line of thought is plecos are immune to a lot of fish diseases. The thought is they live on the bottom a lot where everything falls. (hex, tapeworm, flukes) Yet they never seem to be sick from these diseases. They also have a different diet and digestion system than discus. For this reason you can't compare their feces to a discus feces. I think your fine. Also I'm sure you noticed plecos make a lot and it is long thin and stringy.

M0oN
01-17-2004, 03:05 PM
There is a debate over this, but one line of thought is plecos are immune to a lot of fish diseases. The thought is they live on the bottom a lot where everything falls. (hex, tapeworm, flukes) Yet they never seem to be sick from these diseases. They also have a different diet and digestion system than discus. For this reason you can't compare their feces to a discus feces. I think your fine. Also I'm sure you noticed plecos make a lot and it is long thin and stringy.

Yes, I just noticed it went clear after a pretty stressful transfer for the pleco, but now is back to normal, thought it a bit strange.

I'm still probably going to treat the tank just in case, being that the pleco was in a tank that came down with hex but was never treated.

brewmaster15
01-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi Jason,
On the hexamita...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1058

Should give you info .

hth,
al

Ps...Got your Im... I'm a little behind in them right now :-"
"148935

M0oN
01-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Ps...Got your Im... I'm a little behind in them right now :-\

Suprised you even had time to read it yet with recent events. It's no rush, that tank won't be set up for well over 4 months from now. Whenever you get a chance a reply is appreciated :)