PDA

View Full Version : Air Blower- suggestions?

bikhu
01-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Hi,
I have a very small fish room...compared to many people here that is. I have 4 tanks. 30 gal, 45 gal, 55 gal and 60 gal. I have AC and Rainbows or Hydros on all tanks with seperate air pumps for each tank. Does it make sense to get an air blower for a central system? If so is there a small enough one to make sense without being incredibly noisy and tremendous overkill? I don't have room to add more tanks (well maybe one or two with a change of stand ;) (don't tell my wife I even hinted at that right now!) More likely I would increase the 55 to a 90 and/or add a 50 gal. SO I guess what I am saying is that I would like the convenience and versatility that a linear pump couls afford me if it makes sense. What do you guys think. Oh yeah... I work with an incredibly humble budget... :(
Your input would be appreciated
THanks and peace!
peter

Discusgeo
01-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Peter I think you would be better off with a Linear Piston Air Pump.
Try http://www.jehmco.com/SPECIALS/specials.html he has one right now for $239.00
This is a quote from that link.

Only 45 watts at listed output. Fish Room Starters kit includes pre-built Air Manifold with (20) #AV1B Brass Lever Valves installed. The easiest way to get your Fish Room Central Air System setup. Beginning Breeders now have a much easier path to a reliable low maintenance Fish Room. High quality components for many years of trouble free operation. All that is required is to hang the manifold above the row of tanks, place the Air Pump on a shelf, connect your airline tubing to the pre-installed valves and your Air System is done. Combine with our package Sponge Filter SALE (12) for more savings.

Peter I have 2 Linear Piston Air Pumps in my garage and they are so quite you don't even know they are running. One is the LPH45 and the other is a pump from Hagen called the Pump Model SPP-40GJ-L
George

korbi_doc
01-17-2004, 10:44 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Peter, I agree totally with George. I don't have a fishroom, my tanks are spread all over the house. Only running 5 tanks with fish right now, 4 more just ready (20g). Have 2 32g RM tubs for storage/aging, put in airstones for agitation. I use lotsa airstones & sponge filters & still have plenty of air for more. Have Jehmco's smaller 26w linear pump which puts out lotsa air, is not that expensive & love it. Best thing I ever did to help myself maintain these tanks. Call John & tell him what you are trying to do & he'll help you out, HTH Dottie ;D

bikhu
01-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi ~
Thanks for the suggestions George and Dottie.
Dottie can you tell me more about the 26 watt pump that you have? ($ ?)

Jason
01-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi Peter,

deffinately go with a linear, they cant be beat, when I swapped my fuji 1/10hp blower for a medo linear I got 30 more outlets, less noise, and power dropped by about 75-85$ per 60 day billing period.

korbi_doc
01-17-2004, 01:06 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Peter, the 26w linear p.pump I got from Jehmco @just under $200. I love it & have plenty of air for 10 tanks +, & 2 32g RM tubs. Figure up how many tanks & storage tubs you need & call John, he'll tell you which one you need. This 26w is a worker!! www.jehmco.com HTH, Dottie

daninthesand
01-17-2004, 01:18 PM
I Also have a linear piston air pump. At the moment I am running a 26watt one (the smallest Jehmco offers) that I bought used. It is now running 24 hydrosponges, four of those being run through 20 feet of 1/4 inch tubing. I also am bubbling the extra air to my storage tanks, one of which is 5 feet deep. TONS of air. The hydrosponges are bubbling at a very high output, at my choice.

I dont hear the pump at all. I only hear the bubbles!

I highly recommend the linear pumps, and Jason can get you one a a great price.

Danie

seadude
01-19-2004, 04:02 AM
What about whitewater linear diaphragm pumps?? Anyone has experience with it??
Model #LPH45 has 1.6CFM output at 2psi cost about $230.
But the whitewater LT15 with 1.5CFM output at 2psi cost only $100.
In fact, the highest whitewater linear pumps model LT28 has 5CFM output and cost only $220.

Is the whitewater linear pump noisy??? My unreasonable noisy Dynomaster can't keep up with my tanks growth... need new pump soon.... Thanks in advance...

susankay1
01-19-2004, 05:34 AM
Ok, I guess I have to toss in my 2 cents worth here. We started with a couple of tanks and a linear pump. Loved the linear pump(from Jason), very quiet, no noticable bump on the electric bill. Then we grew, and grew and grew. We now have nearly 20 tanks of various sizes up and running and 3 water storage barrels in 2 rooms covering nearly 40 feet of distance. We changed over to a blower, 1/3 hp I think, and we love it. The only drawback is, it is noisy. Very noisy. But by building a plywood box lined with styrofoam and extending the intake filter up through the box, we have greatly reduced the noise. We made sure to make the box plenty big for it so that we wouldnt run into problems with overheating, not sure if that is necessary, but it never hurts to be cautious. We bought both pumps from Simply members and are happy with both. The linear is now a backup in case we have any down time with the blower. HTH Susan and Bill