PDA

View Full Version : ALLRIGHTYTHEN!!! :)

Amadhunter
01-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Just finished setting up my 75 gal. discus tank. It took me all day to clean it up, move it (by myself), and fill it.
I'm now heating it. Got a new ebojager 250w heater, hoping it will be enough to keep it at the desired temp. It seems to be taking forever to raise the temp from 68 to the upper 80's.
I put an established whisper filter on the back. Do I need to add some ammonia to "feed" the bacteria? Can someone post some details on how to cycle from this stage, and how long, or what to look for before I add discus.
Thanks so much beforehand!
Darren

April
01-17-2004, 12:22 AM
well wont have to worry about the temp getting up there for awhile then...if you still have to cycle. bet your excited. i just add the high temperature water...to start.
do you have any cycled sponges from another tank? theres fishless cycling with ammonia..or theres biosphere or somethin that cycles it quickly so ive heard.
well...keep on cyclin and in the meantime start drooling over which fish will be swimming around that tank .
keep us updated. we love hearing about peoples new fish.
ok re read your post. if you have an established filter..feed it some flake daily to keep the bacteria up and test it.

Amadhunter
01-17-2004, 12:31 AM
Thanks April :) I'd compemplated getting some plattys, or other cheap fish to help, but, I'm worried about sickness, parisites, or other contamination.
Can you explain fishless cycling with amonia a little?
Thank you very much, and yes, I'm chomping at the bit to start my discus collection. I already have a 55 setup on the works. :)

Carol_Roberts
01-17-2004, 01:01 AM
IT's simple since your whisper filter is already cycled. Just add one or two capfuls of pure ammonia ( no suds, no lemon scent) to the 75 gallon tank every other day or so. 24 hours prior to the arrival of the discus do a 90% water change and gently rinse the filter media in used tank water.

By the way, I always use warm water to fill my storage tanks too.

Amadhunter
01-17-2004, 01:10 AM
Thank you again Carol, you must be a nightowl like me. ;) Sittin up watchin those finned orbs eh? LOL Here's a pic of my 75. I have plastic wrap over the top, gotta pick up a cover for it.

Amadhunter
01-17-2004, 01:11 AM
I don't know why it appears so dark. I'm practicing with posting pics, so here's another. :)

Amadhunter
01-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Here's one with the flash.

Amadhunter
01-17-2004, 01:14 AM
I plan on painting the back and maybe the sides, any suggestions?