PDA

View Full Version : Happy Chinese New Years.

henryD
01-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Happy New Year to everyone. Actually it is going to be on the 22nd so I am a little ahead of myself.

I wish everyone good health and a prosperous new year.

Now if chinese superstitions are correct every discus person should have lots of luck and fortune. With all the water and fish we keep. So I hope that is true.....

Just remember no chaning water on thursday.

Glenn
01-19-2004, 09:26 PM
Henry why no WC on thursday.

Murphy
01-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Yes! Happy New Year. I think this is the year of the monkey. Why dont they have a year of the Discus? ha! ha!

Jeff
01-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Happy New Year guys. ;)

Kevin11d
01-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Happy new year everyone!!!!

p.s. Remeber to clean your discus!!! ;D ;D ;D

Kevin

Wahter
01-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Henry why no WC on thursday.

I believe he's referring to the traditional belief that if you clean/ sweep on New Year's Day, your fortune will also be swept/ washed away.

Here are some more Chinese New Year traditions (although the romanizations are of Cantonese pronounciations):
http://www.chinatownweb.com/NewYorkCity/Holidays/ChineseNewYear/tradition.htm

ping
01-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Happy Chinese New Year :)

Wahter is right Glenn. So now water changes on Thursday for you ... ;D

01-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Happy Chinese New Years all

Man, I hope my Fish belive in this.

Is that Thursday in Chinese time or does that not matter ??

Ronald

Divantie
01-20-2004, 06:12 PM
It is base on the Lunar Moon, so it 12am your time zone.

01-20-2004, 06:41 PM
H A P P Y N E W Y E A R O F T H E M O N K E Y

:balloon: :balloon: :sun: :sun: :balloon: :balloon: :sun: :sun: :balloon: :balloon: :sun: :sun: :balloon: :balloon: :sun: :sun: :balloon: :balloon: :sun: :sun: :balloon: :balloon: :sun: :sun: :balloon: :balloon: :sun: :sun: :balloon: :balloon: :sun: :sun:

:wave: **Angie**

Glenn
01-20-2004, 08:24 PM
Happy New Year I dont know if i can not do a WC. hope its a good year for all.

discus_HI
01-20-2004, 08:37 PM
Kung Hee Fat Choy!

Lets all celebrate Year of the Monkey by taking the day off!!!!

Wahter
01-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Another thing is some people go out and buy a fish for Chinese New Year's (to bring good luck for the new year), soooo..... there's a good enough reason to do some shopping!!! ;D

no, I don't own this arowana - it's from an issue of Aquarium world magazine

April
01-20-2004, 10:30 PM
so.. wahter.. is it a lucky year for me then seeming i am a monkey?? is this my year?? lol. hope so...

Wahter
01-21-2004, 01:09 AM
so.. wahter.. is it a lucky year for me then seeming i am a monkey?? is this my year?? lol. hope so...

Yes, April - your fortune says you will have to smuggle one of those golden/ red asian arowanas into the US for me! ;D

This website http://www.chineseastrology.com/wu/monkeyyear.html says:

"Improved Year for: Goats, Rabbits, Oxen, Monkeys

The Entertaining Monkey - The "Merry Mercurial
While a lively year of good times, good friends, and lack of boredom, only rarely are your own Monkey years constructive and capable of permanent development. Monkeys have difficulty staying on a straight and narrow course, tempted to take detours and short-cuts for the pure pleasure of discovery and novelty. However, you do find the year's prevalent upheaval amusing, and will have a strong desire for travel."

Hmm... does that mean a trip to Duisburg, Germany or Singapore for you???

My father is a monkey and so is one of my friends' husbands. I have to say, some of the Chinese Astrology/Zodiac/ Horoscope of "monkey" fits them pretty well (the ones that say monkeys love attention, are very inventive and creative, and can handle some difficult situations well):

http://flfl.essortment.com/chinesezodiacy_ruuq.htm

http://chinese.astrology.com/monkey.html

BTW - supposedly this year will be better for me (dragon) too. I hope so - last year's "Year of the Goat" was predicted to be a downturn (no one wants to be born in that year) and since I got laidoff, I have to hope this year's prediction of "better" is true.

April
01-21-2004, 02:40 AM
thanks walter!! always good info as usual from you.
well.. aca is where i plan to travel first... id love to go to duisburg.. or sing sing..but might have to wait.
i might get to take over my store this year. we shall see. so goat was a downturn year eh?? well.. dont dbout that.. lol.

Frank_Endine
01-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Year of the "Monkey". It should be a good year, Very active and productive. I'm using the excuse of the Chinese New Year to visit my relatives in Hong Kong and going to China and Japan to get some new fish on my way home.
"Kung Hay Fat Choi"
Frank

Carol_Roberts
01-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Hi Frank:
I remember that name. I am looking forward to pictures of your new fish. enjoy your vacation.

henryD
01-21-2004, 10:29 AM
Sorry I have not been around to answer you questions. But I think walter did a great job of it.

Water is also a slang for money. So to do water changes on New Years is like throwing money away if your superstitious. So no water changes on Thursday.

Henry

sunflowerdiscus
01-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Happy Chinese New Year.

Willie

chinoz
01-21-2004, 12:12 PM

April

People say when its your year you will have bad luck.. i think its true because last year was my year and boy !!! it really sucks.

Discusrite
01-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Water is also a slang for money. So to do water changes on New Years is like throwing money away if your superstitious. So no water changes on Thursday.

Well, you can think of it this way, doing water changes is like destroying old tearing money (whatever your currency is) so that you can print new ones.
So for all the Chinese, Happy Chinese New Year and remember to do your water changes. ;D

Wahter
01-22-2004, 12:30 AM
Happy Chinese New Year
(I believe the Koreans, Taiwanese, some Singaporeans, some Malaysians, and Vietnamese celebrate the lunar New Year as well).

A nice photo of the Forbidden City for all of you. ;D
and yes, I did take this photo when I visited Beijing! ;D

Discus Fantasy
01-22-2004, 02:19 AM
Happy Chinese New Year!!!

Danny :) :)

EthanCote.com
01-22-2004, 12:12 PM
I'm not too superstitious but it does give me an excuse to miss a water change. lol.

Does it also mean I do not have to shovel the snow today? It does involve cleaning non?

;D

I love Chinese New Year! hehe Its the day to be lazzzzzy.

Cheerio,

Chi.