PDA

View Full Version : ???PRIME and ClorAm-X preparation Questions???

allan_mark76
01-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Hello all... I was wondering how much I can make up some ClorAm-X to equal that of PRIME i.e. 1ml per 10 gallons???. I'm having a hard time trying to figure it out???.

How many grams of ClorAm-X Dry am I to add to 5 gallons of DI WATER???? ??? I have a scale in grams so much info / input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A- ;D

aqua
01-19-2004, 08:07 PM
I add about 1 gram per 10 gallons of water and it works for me. It won't hurt to add a little extra.

Lance_Krueger
01-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Chloram-X Reconstituting

Talked to John Kuhns, owner of Aqua Science at 816-842-5936 about reconstituting Chloram-X from the dry state to a liquid state. He said that the liquid solution is not as stable as the dry solution, but would go acidic only after a year. He said you would have to use some sort of buffer if storing it over a year (not sure which type, since I didn’t ask since I wouldn’t need it in solution for that long) so the pH doesn’t drop. He said to use either de-ionized water (absolutely pure) or distilled bottled water. He said to use the following formula to reconstitute it:

For a 40% solution of Chloram-X, take six pounds of water (which he said is about 6 pints, but to weight it and not go by volume!), and add four pounds of Chloram-X.

You can also figure it by taking the weight of your water and divide it by .6, which will give you total pounds. Then take the total pounds and multiply that by .4, which will give you how much Chloram-X to add to the water.

Water weight/.6 = Total Pounds
Total pounds x .4 = weight of Chloram-X needed.

Mix it thoroughly until the powder is in solution. He said this will give you a 40% solution . So use 5ml per 10 gallons, which will treat 2mg/l of ammonia or 6mg/l of chloramines. To get a 20% solution, (i.e. 10ml per 10 gallons), just double the weight of the water, or cut the Chloram-X weight in half.

Amquel is a 21% solution, and with 5ml per 10 gallons, treats 1mg/l of ammonia, 3.2 mg/l of chloramine, or 2.1 mg/l of chlorine, which is the same amount of solution as the Chloram-X reconstituted above, but treats half the amount of chloramine, ammonia and chlorine.
Prime uses 1 ml per 10 gallons. Don’t know how much ammonia, chlorine and chloramine that treats. But from this information, you should be able to figure out how to cut your Cloram-x or increase the water to get the right ml's per gallon you want. :D
Lance Krueger

jeep
01-19-2004, 09:12 PM
DI water should not have chloramines in it ???

allan_mark76
01-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Okay let me try this again... so how much of the ClorAm-X should I add to 5 gallons to achieve 1ml per 10 gallons like prime does????