PDA

View Full Version : Layed for the first time... happy yet sad!!

Kevin11d
01-20-2004, 01:35 AM
I need some quick reply please.........This is my first time, don't know what to do with them!!!

My two pair 5.5" red turqs had finally layed eggs for the FIRST time. ;D ;D ;D
They are around 8 months old, and they just paired up 1 1/2 week ago.

I'm so happy the fact that they layed, but as i looked closely, I saw the male eating the eggs on the drainpipe. :'( :'( :'(
They are currently with 7 other BD in a 55g.
Hardness: 120ppm Ph: 7.2 (i didnt' know they would spawn so soon)

HERE'S MY QUESTIONS:
1) Is this normal if the male eats the eggs for the first time?
2) How can i make the male NOT eats the eggs?
3) If i seperate the pair, would that help the eggs not being eaten?

Thanks

Kevin

Carol_Roberts
01-20-2004, 02:12 AM
Hi Kevin:
Congratulations on your first spawn. :thumbsup:

Your water and pH are fine for hatching discus, I doubt you will need an RO. Now to answer your questions . . .

HERE'S MY QUESTIONS:
1) Is this normal if the male eats the eggs for the first time? Yes, and the time after that, and the time after that . . .
2) How can i make the male NOT eats the eggs? Hopefully he will get the hang of it after he matures and will stop on his own.
3) If i seperate the pair, would that help the eggs not being eaten? Not necessarily, but I like to see pairs in their own tank.
Females mature earlier than males. Your male is just too young right now to know what to do. Unfortunately it may take several months for him to mature. Do you have an older male?

Kevin11d
01-20-2004, 12:28 PM
Hi Carol

The red turqs are my oldest fish. My PB are only 5-6 months old.
It's sad to see the female laying the eggs on the pipe while the male follows along are eats the eggs :-[ :-[.

I will be putting them into a 25g tank next week and lower the ph a little bit. I hope this will trigger the male to fertile the eggs soon.

I know many hobbist like to let their pair spawn in the community tank for the first few times (male will most likely to eats the eggs). But i think this will make him into a habit to eats the egg.

Hopefully, the female will lay again soon!!! ;D ;D ;D

Kevin

Carol_Roberts
01-20-2004, 06:55 PM
I will be putting them into a 25g tank next week and lower the ph a little bit. I hope this will trigger the male to fertile the eggs soon.

Lowering the pH will not make the immature male fertilize the eggs. Think of him as an 11 year old boy with an 11 year old sister. She may be old enough to produce babies with a mature male. He is not. Changing the pH will not mature his testes any faster. Unless you really know what you are doing, changing the pH can cause more problems.