PDA

View Full Version : Fish wasting away

bigbass
01-20-2004, 11:37 AM
I started my first discus tank 3 months ago with 6 discus (3 blue diamond and 3 red turquois). I maintain my tank at pH 6.5, soft water, 84 degrees and changes 30% water weekly. Only two of my fish are doing well, eating and growing, a blue diamond and a red turquois. The others are not eating and are wasting away literally. I have lost two fish already. They become skin and bone and start not to swim well and die. I feed a mix diet of frozen red worms, color pellets, and freeze dried tubaflex worms twice daily. What's the problem and is there a solution? Please help!

Carol_Roberts
01-20-2004, 12:29 PM
IF we are talking about juveniles discus that is not enough water changes or enough feedings. It should be everday for the water changes and 4 times a day for the feedings.

Soft water is not needed for juveniles, in fact they do better with minerals. Your pH doesn't mater as long as it does not flutuate. Your temperature is fine. Frozen blood worms and tetra bits are good food. I don't care much for freeze dried anything.

Are you seeing white stringy feces? Is this a graveled tank or barebottom?

Start the daily water changes and extra feedings today. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons salt per 10 gallons. See if any start eating more. If they don't you may need a course of metro.

Kevin11d
01-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Hi bigbass.

Carol is right!!! Soft water doesn't have enough minerals for the discus to growth properly. I was once using soft water, and my fish turned dark and not active.

Are you feeding your blue diamonds colour bits? If you are, please stop feeding it. This is because it will cause the blue diamonds to show red in colour.

Kevin

Blackmango
01-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Hi!

You mention softer water for juveniles. I have no RO and am not likely to get one yet, but am becoming more hooked on this hobby than I want to admit.

How can I soften the water? Not too technical please.

Thanks,
Gunda

Carol_Roberts
01-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Hi Gunda:
You do NOT want soft water for juveniles. I bet your water is fine for growing out juveniles.