PDA

View Full Version : question about nymphea (spelling??)

ari_wh
01-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Hello there all planted tank experts...

I am just wondering whether you can help me with a few of my plants. I have planted tank, no CO2 though.... (the water is way far too soft to even contemplating having it), so... I only stick with Enchinodorus variety, anubias, nymphea, some crypts, and those chain swords, and so far my tanks has been doing well.... although not as bushy as those with CO2. And no stem plants either.... I have given up growing them without CO2.

I just have problem with my nymphea. I have a few in my tanks and I find that some of them started to throw surface leaves and from my own experience, once they are throwing surface leaves, they will continue to do so until they have none but surface leaves. Is there any other way to stop them from doing so? I have in the past, even have the nymphea flowering in my tank.... So, I ended up taking it out of my tank and put it in my ponds... It is still flowing merrily in my pond....lol.

And also, is there any way to stop my echinodorus from throwing pups all the time?? Admittedly, it is huge and I had it for a while.

Thanks for that... and maybe one day, when I am not shy anymore... I might post pics of my tank on this section.... I do post them every now and then in aussie3 post though.

Regards, Ari :)

Wahter
01-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Hi Ari,

You have to "train" (actually, I think it's more like "convincing") the nymphea into sending out the shorter underwater leaves. It's as if they usually figure out, "Hey, I can send out these leaves that float on the surface, where it's easier to get CO2, and I can hog all the light too".

Generally, you can train them by cutting off the leaves that are the ones headed toward the surface. In a short while, the new leaves should be the ones that stay underwater.

I've had mine flower a few times, but only twice in 2 years have the flowers produced seeds which became tiny nymphea plants. Interesting flowers that open mainly at night and only for a few hours.

You don't want your sword plant to shoot out runners with babies on them? Can't you let the baby plantlets grow out a bit, then take them into an aquarium shop and trade for store credit?

HTH,

Walter

ari_wh
01-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Hi Walter,

Thanks for that.... I was going to cut all those surface leaves off, but Scott decided that he wanted the plant to flower and produce more pups, so he can put more in the pond outside... Hhhmmmm.... never mind!! Hopefully I can train the pups instead.

Well.... as far as enchinodorus are concerned, we live in a remote part of Australia now, so I can't just go to pet shop and trade them in... We have given all those baby plants too all the people that has fish tanks in town, but they kept on shooting more!! Not mentioning... that I have some in the pond already... I currently have 2 mother plants at the moment that just kept on shooting more runners. Just look a bit untidy, that is all.

Thanks again,

Regards, Ari :)

ChloroPhil
01-23-2004, 04:31 PM
I hear they're good with a little raspberry vinegrette and cracked pepper. ;)