PDA

View Full Version : Lead pipes in our street

troy
01-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Hi all

I have recently shifted house which is only 1 km from my old house.
I have just found that the water is different. I decided to check as my fish do not spawn no more and its been 5weeks since i moved,they have stress bars and one with the worse case of hex i have ever seen.
Phoned water company, we live in a dead end street which means the water sits in the pipes and does not circulate. in this area of town the pipes are made of lead. I have noticed the odd small pale green flake in our water which apparently can make the fish sick if they eat it.
I do not want to drink our water no more after hearing all that, time for a distiller.
What to do for the fish, what will remove lead form the water, carbon?
Any one got any advice .

Troy

korbi_doc
01-22-2004, 10:05 AM
:o :o :o OMG Troy, your water must be even worse than mine. My well water is pretty nasty. I am using 100% R/O water reconstituted with Joe's recipe (Enchanted Discus).
3 gms Calcium Sulfate to 1gm of magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) & 1 gm of aquarium salt. This has worked well for me. I use a TDS meter to reconstitute to 'bout 350ppms for youngsters.
I certainly don't think you should drink your water unless you put it thru an r/o unit. This would eliminate the metals & you would need to add minerals for your fish. There are some less expensive units on the market. You should IM RandalB, he should be able to help you HTH, Dottie ;D ;D

ronrca
01-22-2004, 12:22 PM
I agree! I would go RO and perhaps get a unit that can supply the whole house. ;)
Randal's the guy, the only guy! ;)

troy
01-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the advice guys
will try and find Randel