PDA

View Full Version : Nitrite stabilizing

M0oN
01-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Well since my last post about it my nitrite has still not stabilized past .25 and I'm required to do water changes 3 times a day.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be or am I just being impatient?

Thanks,
Jason

Carol_Roberts
01-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Hi Jason:
You have no detectible ammonia.
NitrIte is .25 (not nitrAte)
Is there a nitrAte reading yet? Your filter should be close to cycled again once you see nitrAte.

Keep 2 tbsp salt per 10 gallons in the tank at all times to counter the effects of nitrIte.

I know it's a lot of work, but you are doing the right thing.

M0oN
01-22-2004, 04:14 PM
Did another check on things, nitrate is at 40 ppm even after a large water change which makes me feel a little bit better...

Ammonia and nitrite are reading at .25 ppm (although ammonia could be zero or closer, I'm slightly color blind so it's hard to tell).

Thanks Carol,
Jason

Carol_Roberts
01-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi Jason:
something is wrong with your numbers or test kits. Or you have a dead fish in the tank OR food rotting in the filter.

If you have been doing three 30% water changes per day for several days your nitrAtes should be close to zero. 40 is WAY high for even once a day water changes. My nitrAtes are barely detectable - never over 5. I do one water change per day on older juveniles and adults (all I have right now)

M0oN
01-22-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks again Carol, I've sent you an IM in hopes of clearing some problems up.

Jason