PDA

View Full Version : discus and water current........too strong?

first_timer
01-22-2004, 10:56 PM
i've just today purchased my first 4 discus today, and they are doing very well. they acclimated very nicely and even wolfed down a dinner of bloodworms. however i've noticed that they put up quite a fight with the current my filter creates, it's a penguin 170 on a 20g. the discus are approx 1.5 to 2.0 inches each. what can i do to subside the current a bit so that they can feel free to roam the tank without feeling as though they're trying to walk against a mildly strong wind ::)
thanks,
mark

Carol_Roberts
01-23-2004, 12:21 AM
Put the penguin at one end of the tank and fill the tank as full of water as possible.

Abercrombie6202
01-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Carol great suggestions...

Make sure the water level is always as high as it can go, this will casue less "strong" current in the quarium. Vaporation can happen quickly depending on your humidity, but just add water and do many waterchanges to keep teh water in excellent condition and the level at jsut the right level. It might help to put some decorations in teh tank like plastic plants, live plants in pots, it will help the fish because they can hide behind it if the current is too strong and it will make the current weaker in that specific area.