PDA

View Full Version : Expected growth size's to timeline, please advise...

nokoto
01-23-2004, 06:27 PM
I not seen this information in great detail...

Can anyone provide a timeline of changes please... so we know what to expect...

Carol I think you could be a expert on this...

Cheers Wayne

Carol_Roberts
01-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Growth depends on feeding and water changes. I've never measured them and kept records . . . Maybe some one else has.

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Normally if the w/c's are kept to atleast 50% daily, fed high quality food and fed 5-6 times a day, then normal growth is about an inch a month until they reach about 4-5 months old. After that time period they will start to grow alittle slower (1/2-3/4 inch per month). It really depends upon how much work the breeder puts into the fish.

-Ryan

nokoto
01-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Thanks Ryan

1-4 months 1" per month upto 4"...
5+ months Half inch

Why the 50% water how does this aid growth if the No3 are low ?

What makes the change...

My fry are at 1" at about 7 weeks :-\

Cheers Wayne

Carol_Roberts
01-27-2004, 12:03 AM
Planted tank, Wayne . . . try raising them in a bare bottom tank next time with large daily water changes. Trust me, you will see much better growth.

jason87
01-27-2004, 11:02 AM
can i rear them in a ios tank? i mean is it good?

nokoto
01-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi carol

The parents are in the planed tank, they are at calm with themselves hence they breed!!!

As for the fry there in a 120 ltrs bare bottom tank, I'm doing water changes but not daily, why the heavy waters if things like the No3 are low? As Im going to put a heavy filter system in place... Any thoughts on that...

Cheers Wayne

Carol_Roberts
01-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Well, because it works ;D

It's not just nitrates. Next spawn divide them in half do half your way and half my way - after 60 days see which tank grows the best.

MonkeeFish
01-27-2004, 08:39 PM
Discus like clean water,

RyanH
01-27-2004, 09:25 PM
LOL

It sucks getting advice that you don't want to hear doesn't it Wayne. :)

such is life...

nokoto
01-28-2004, 07:52 AM
Well MonkeeFish

I have read that some discus have breed in old water so maybe that's not clean!!!

So support your reasons why is it the GH PH No3 minerals in the water...

As my question is if the tank filtered well can you not do the standard water changes?

Carol advise please if you would as to the chemical reason why would be nice, if you know...

Yeah Ryan i know I bet the guy works in IT they give 99% of information but the important 1% they leave out...

Oh well I sure someone nice will advise the real behind it... not just "Discus like clean water" :-\

Wayne

Rob
01-28-2004, 10:17 AM
Does tank height play a role also?

The reason I ask is I seperated my first batch into three bb tanks, one is at eye level 5ft other two are at 3ft. the ones in the eye level tank seem to be less jumpy and the others are fraidy cats.
The ones in the eye-level tank have grown on average 1/4" - 1/2" more over a single month. All three tanks have the same WC schedule, however in the upper tank I am using box filters with ammo/carb (would this affect developement?) the others are using sponge filters.

Also on a side note, I've gotten sick of wiping the tanks down and have added a single pl*co to each tank, they take care of keeping the algae away, just a quick vacuum and no wiping. Any thoughts Carol?

Carol_Roberts
01-28-2004, 05:14 PM
I don't know the scientific reasoning behind the success of clean tanks/filter/water.

My discus career started with a 29 gallon tank, undergravel filter and 3 discus from the pet shop just like most everybody else here. I faithfully followed their advice to lower the pH with the pink stuff and not to disturb the gravel or change more than 20% water per week, etc. etc. I didn't own a computer then, but bought every book I could find.

The old Discus Breeder Web Site was pretty new when I found it and started learning for the first time how to care for discus. I saw first hand the difference switching to bare bottom and daily water changes made in the health of my discus. And later, as I became aware of pH swing and started aging my water I saw my discus stop huddling and turning dark during water changes.

Even with large daily water changes I'd still see skin problems on my discus or dark eyes. I still had canister filters. Now with the Aqua clears, prefilter sponges and failthful filter cleaning my discus are just pretty darn healthy all the time.

I don't raise a lot of babies, but when I do they grow quickly and stay heathy. I don't have problems with flukes or bacterial gill infections.

As to tank height - I know many breeders keep the adults up high and the babies at lower levels . . .

nokoto
01-30-2004, 06:48 PM
If you slow the feeding down, does this has a long term effect on there over all growth...

Reason being I going away for 17 days march, so I have a problem? you may say, so can I slow there feeding down for this duration...

Any advice please, cheers Wayne

Carol_Roberts
01-31-2004, 12:04 AM
Slowing down the feeding (and water changes) on young juveniles discus for 17 days probably will stunt their growth