PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: L46 zebra pleco's

M0oN
01-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Looking for a pair of L46 zebra pleco's, one male one female. I've got a bulk seller that I'm waiting for a reply on. But if somone knows where these guys are float'n around for sale right now I'd appreciate it.

Jason

Todd77357
01-25-2004, 01:59 AM
http://www.fishrushouston.com/

They have 3 left.

Todd77357
01-25-2004, 02:00 AM
oh 65 each, or 60 each if you buy all 3.

M0oN
01-25-2004, 02:08 AM
thanks a lot TRob

Anyone else with sites carrying them please let me know. :)

Jason

GoodMike
01-25-2004, 02:38 AM
just to let you know....even if you order a male and a female, that doesnt mean you are gonna get one. Its kinda hard to tell the difference...they are like discus, dont always know till they breed. Its recommended to get a group of 6 together...kinda spendy..but you have better results. (can you tell i used to be big into plecos?)

M0oN
01-25-2004, 02:43 AM
I can see that :)

Figured anyone keeping them these days would be able to tell the difference (I've been told the zebra's along with a few others are easier to seperate from other pleco's based on a fin?).

I'll probably only end up with one anyway, they're just so good looking...

Wahter
01-25-2004, 03:17 AM
I can see that :)

Figured anyone keeping them these days would be able to tell the difference (I've been told the zebra's along with a few others are easier to seperate from other pleco's based on a fin?).

I'll probably only end up with one anyway, they're just so good looking...

Supposedly the males have larger, wider heads. Of course, it's hard to tell if you only have one. ??? Also the spines on the fins are supposedly more noticeable on the males. From what I've read, when they spawn, there are only about 8-14 or so eggs and the males are territorial. Here's some more info:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/1997-11.htm

Yes, they are pretty, but they hide a lot too. "Prettiest fish I never did see" ;D

I have one, but am unsure if it's a male or female. And yes, they are discus compatible! ;D ;D ;D

This picture is from www.planetcatfish.com:

M0oN
01-25-2004, 03:41 AM
thanks Wahter, they're planning on daming up the river in which the pleco's live, so it might be a good idea to stock up on whatever you can find now if you really love the fish, they're also adding more and more import and export restrictions on them as the years go...

Wahter
01-25-2004, 04:01 AM
They're putting a dam in Rio Xingu? I didn't know that... I think the prices are a bit high on the zebras right now anyway. I remember several years ago, they were $75.00US each and then when I got mine (around 5 years ago), the price fell down to around $49.00US each. Now they are back up there again (although cheaper here in North Carolina than Tokyo Japan - over there, they were priced ~$125.00US each!). :(

I have a pair of queen arabesques - I like them a lot too. ;D

MonkeeFish
01-25-2004, 05:15 AM
since we're all speaking about Pleco

What's the best way to grow them out, do u guyz grow them in their own tank or can u grow them in a tank wit other fishes to, i drop those algae waffler and like the pelco dont even noe it's their they're not like ur regular fishes so how do u get them to grow???? especially those really big one???

Aquaticdreamland
01-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Monkee, it depends on which pleco you are growing out. Some prefer a veggie based diet so feed spinach romaine lettuce zuchinni algea wafer and a bit of meat. Most are omnivores so a mix of meat and veggie is best. The zebra plecos prefer a meat based diet. My zebras are all on a heavy meat diet with veggies tossed in here and there, they are not amused by them though and seem to look at me in disgust. I've had fine luck with growing plecos in tanks with other fish, they just tend to hide more IMO. Also most prefer to eat at night after lights out. If you are trying to grow a big pleco, say a L-25red fin you need to offer it a spacious tank. Just like all fish, if you over crowd them you're not going to see the rapid growth.

Dazoc
01-25-2004, 01:05 PM
I don't know what the going rate on the zebra is at lfs. But The place I got my two motoro rays has the zebra's for 69$, they also have a flat shipping rate so if you order enough of them you could have a good price on them. The place is called riverwonders. http://www.riverwonders.com/index.html
The Zebras are on this page
http://www.riverwonders.com/catalog/c2_p1.html
I have only seen 3 zebras at the lfs. One of the stores they wanted 90$ for, the other two were from a different store, they were in the owners own tank and I got them for 60$ each.

HTH,
Eli

GoodMike
01-25-2004, 03:05 PM
all im saying about the sexing is dont get your hopes up that you will get one female and one male, its not always as apparent as people say. GOOD LUCK THOUGH, they are beautiful fish, and i really wanted to get some for breeding (had a tank setup and all....) but i didnt come up with the money, and i knew i wouldnt anytime soon. :o

Todd77357
01-25-2004, 04:52 PM
IMO the L-046 is harder to sex than some sites let on. I did a little pick and choosing, but ended up getting 9 hoping to have a good male to female ratio. Maybe they will breed, maybe not, either way they are beautiful and I enjoy them.

M0oN
01-25-2004, 05:23 PM
I've found a bulk supplier, supposedly, that can get upwards of 50 of these guys at good prices. I'll make a post tomorrow after I speak with him and maybe everyone can buy in together, I already have a few breeders interested in buying a substantial amount, so it should be a good way of getting everyone a zebra of their own at a reasonable price :)