PDA

View Full Version : stringy white feces

discus_HI
01-26-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi All,

I noticed a couple of my discus have started excreting some stringy white feces and was worried it is the start of something bad?

Some parts of the turds are dark, like normal, and other parts of the same turd are white. I did notice one snkskn was a little light in color with a all white long stringy turd hanging about 3 inches long. I feed BW, color bits, BH mix daily, 50-60% h20 change daily, 88 degree, sponge filter, BB, 3 tbls/10gal salt.

Other than the white poop and skitishness, there are no other external signs(darkening, clammed fins, labored breathing.) I'm thinkin it could just be BW excriment but am not sure(will stop the BW for a day to see if it helps w/ regularity)

I didn't want to bomb my tank w/ meds as the majority of the fish seem to be doing well. Any ideas on what it could be or how to cure the white feces? I just wanted everyones opinion on what it is and how to fix it before taking action.

Thanks for the help!

brewmaster15
01-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi ,
If the fish effected started showing symptoms at around the same time... Its most likely bacterial... from contaminated food.. Hex usually affects fish at different rates.

what have you been feeding?

My advice is to use kanamyacin (kanacyn) or erythromycin.

hth,
al

ps...Though I am not recommending it Metronidazole has been used in conjuction with the above meds to successfully treat a stubborn infection of this nature by me and others.

jules
01-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Hi,

I have noticed that their feces are sometimes dependent on their diet - so your thoughts on the BW may be correct.

discus_HI
01-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Thanks Al and Jules,

After closer inspection it does look like a round of internal bacterial infection is starting to set in, good call AL!

I noticed some blood streaks in the body of some fish when I got home from work yesterday.

What do I use to treat this? I do have paragon2 which is a broad based antibiotic that has worked in the past, albeit a bit harsh on the fish. I'm not sure I can find Kanacyn(sp) but will check LFS today.

Any other recommended parameters, temp, dosage, lights on/off, add airstone, etc...to help get rid of this problem ASAP.

I am still kinda new to discus so thanks for the patience and help.

brewmaster15
01-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Hi,
I'd say call around and see if you can get the "kanamycin" . many LFS carry it or "kanacyn."

If not ,,,Then erythromycin..also called e-mycin, and also the ingredient in Mardels maracyn...

another combination would be marcyn(erythromycin) + maracyn2 (minocycline)

last choice would oxytetracycline... in this case not tetracycline.. The oxyform is better absorbed,

hth,
al

feel free to Im me if you need more options,

discus_HI
01-27-2004, 03:11 PM
found the kanamcyn at the lfs, thanks for the multiple options for curing internal infections that helps a lot.

I'll dose after my WC today and I'll keep yall updated on their status.

big mahalo Brew!