PDA

View Full Version : Genetic & Naming Roadmap

JeffreyRichard
01-28-2004, 11:22 AM
::) ::) ::)How about we draw on the experience and knowledge of the pros here to come up with the following:

Lexicon of discus varieties ... description and common names used for certain strains/morphs of discus Genetic (phenotype) matrix of strain combinations ... e.g., Blue Diamond x Blue Diamond = % BD and % of something else

What do you all think?

susankay1
01-28-2004, 11:37 AM
I think that is a wonderful idea. I get so confused by all the names, to me a blue fish is a blue fish, a red fish is a red fish, etc. To have a lexicon that describes the traits that make up a spotted snakeskin vs. a regular snakeskin would be of a great help to all us beginners. Course it would have to be full of lovely full-color pictures for comparison purposes. I would buy it. :D

JeffreyRichard
01-29-2004, 10:38 AM
??? ??? ???

No one is interested in this?

FischAutoTechGarten
01-29-2004, 12:52 PM
I don't think it's a lack of interest.
I just think most of us feel totally unqualified to contribute.
Would it be advantageous to get a consensus of the distributions/phenotypes of wilds first? Then move on to describing cultivated varieties?

It's complicated. (Some of us don't even believe that Blue, Greens & Browns differ genetically at all. Some of us believe there are Heckels and everything else.)

Is a Red Turq a derivative of a Blue Discus? Then why do purist argue it should have the beige/brown base color like those found in browns? I'm not being argumentative. (I definitely don't want those questions addressed in this thread). Just posing a sample of the questions that ignorant folks like myself are likely to pose as this process unfolds.

Carol_Roberts
01-29-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm not qualified to do it. I've never bred a blue diamond (or bunches of other varieties).

I know if you breed a pure pigeon to anything else the f1 fry will all be pigeon. The next generation will produce a mix of pigeons and whatever the other parent was - but I don't know the percentage.

JeffreyRichard
01-29-2004, 03:29 PM
I don't think it's a lack of interest.
I just think most of us feel totally unqualified to contribute.

Actually, I'm suggesting we document our collective observations. Sure, this is not the definative scientific last word, but it would be the starting point for some (dare I say) standardization of names and expectations ...

OK, I'll start ...

The rules are you add to the conversation ... feel free to correct or give an alternative opinion.

Don't be afraid to add your 2 cents ... this is a whiteboard exercize

Anyone who get's bent out of shape about someone else's observations/opinions will get personally slap by me ...

WILD

The common view is that there are FOUR varieties/species/sub-species (someone clarify ...) of wild discus

Brown ... = Alenquer, Red ... Blue ... = Royal Blue Green = Red Spotted Green, Royal Green Heckel

DOMESTIC

Using the classification presented in the book "Asian Discus II" for no other reason than it seems pretty good ...

BLUE TURQUISE ... Turquoise/striated, Solid or Cobalt, Blue Diamond/Blue Cover RED TURQUOISE SNAKESKIN RED SPOTTED ... RSG, Leopard, Leopard Snakeskin PIGEON BLOOD MARLBORO RED ... Red Melon, Red Cover SOLID RED ... Alenquer, Rose Red, San Mareh GOLD GHOST

ASSIGNMENT

Add to the "list of discus ... suggest how you'd modify the Varieties and categorize sub-varients or common names describe your genetic observations from breeding ... what different combinations of varieties give for offspring

Carol_Roberts
01-29-2004, 04:02 PM
I think Marlboro Red is a pigeon and you want SanMerah in it's place?

Don't forget the solid white (white eyed) discus

I think I would put red and blue turquoise together and have blue diamond by itself . . . .

wildthing
01-29-2004, 11:10 PM
this is a weird subject.....I understand the question but Discus are one of those subjects that " the more I know, the more I realize I don;t know"....if you know what I mean
:)

beta
01-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Shouldnt LSS be in both snakeskin and spotted category?