PDA

View Full Version : A fish with gas

discus-fan
01-29-2004, 04:45 PM
Has anyone ever heard or seen a fish with gas? :D

We've got a cobalt that when ever you feed her pellets she blouts up with air. She will move around and then all of a sudden bubbles start coming up from under her and float to the top. ;D I've got a colbalt that farts.

It's the funniest thing but not forsure if it's good for her or not. :-\

Tad
01-29-2004, 04:47 PM
LOL,
Feed her "Beano" ;D

Tad

discus-fan
01-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey Beano might work. ;D Wonder if this could be listed on the medicine side. lol

We feed ours, beefheart, bloodworms and pellets. They only get pellets a couple times a week. Just about everytime though she does this. Our kids think it's the funniest thing.

oodi
01-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Beano??? Leave it to Tad to come up with that solution! ???

Do you soak the pellets before feeding? If not, you might want to try doing that.

HTH,

Judi
:)

Tad
01-29-2004, 05:27 PM
discusfan,

I say don't fix it...I would think its rather entertaining ;D

Regards,
Tad

OBTW: Judi's right for once LOL..

discus-fan
01-29-2004, 05:31 PM
She has been doing this for about 6 months now. It doesn't seem to cause her any problems. When it first comes on though she kinda floats toward the top of the tank and swims to stay closer to the middle. Then she will let out some gas and she's off swimming everywhere. She'll let more out then swim some more.

I think I will leave it alone. ;)

oodi
01-29-2004, 05:31 PM

It's not that I'm right for once... it's just that for ONCE, you admit it!!!

Judi
;D

discus-fan
01-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Oodi,

Is that your bird in the picture? Very pretty. We also have an African Grey. Parrots are alot of fun to. Just like having another kid in the house.

oodi
01-29-2004, 05:37 PM
Yes... she's mine... she doesn't like Tad much, and attacks him at every opportunity. She's a Fischer's lovebird, and spoiled rotten!!! She makes the rounds with me to feed the fish... she's taken a fancy to Tetra Bits and CBW's.

I would like to get an African Grey... but no room for another bird... any spare space is taken up by tanks!

Judi

jeep
01-29-2004, 05:46 PM

It's about time Judi ??? ;D

J/K ;D

Carol_Roberts
01-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Gas coming out either end means the food is not digesting correctly. Really, you don't want food fermenting in the stomach or intestinal tract. I'd soak the pellets.

discus-fan
01-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks Carol!!!

I'll try that but what about the Tetra Bits, they normally start falling right when you put them in. There is sometimes some that float and she will get those. It's almost like shes taking in air when she goes up to grab it.

KEVINT
01-29-2004, 09:42 PM
you can use epstom salt to help clear the blockage.
but if the fish has been doing it for six months maybe the beano would work ;D

Kevin

oodi
01-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Oh fine, Brian... now you're picking on me, too??? ;)

discus-fan... I soak the bits in a small dish before I put them in the tank. I usually let them sit for about 5 minutes... they will double in size.

Kevin... you know what they say... Beano before, and there'll Beano gas! ;D

Judi

April
01-29-2004, 10:08 PM
is she the pig of the tank? some dont digest well.. and id be very careful how much dry food you feed her a day. im sure this is gonna be a problem forever for this fish. ive had that also.. and it usually seems to be the one who also scarfs down the food before all the others get it.
but for sure.. soak it. and maybe more feedings and less at each time. or vary it with other foods more. ???

discus-fan
01-30-2004, 10:19 AM
We feed our discus, beefheart, bloodworms and the bits. We only feed the bits about 2 - 3 x's a week. I am able to go home for lunch to feed and they just get a light feeding. The little guys get shaved bloodworms, daphnia and a special little beefheart we made just for them. They do not get any of the pellets (bits). Do you think feeding 3 x's a day is to much.

Carol,

Do you think it is bad for the fish to have the filters set up the way we do? We have a 30 cube but it is not set up this way. In the big tank we watch them closely daily and we see their pooh, nobody has any bad ones. (Knock on wood)

Carol_Roberts
01-30-2004, 12:15 PM
I don't like any solids inside the filters. Out of sight out of mind.

I prefer to rinse the solids off the prefilter sponge on the intake tube or vacuum them off the floor. I use the sponges inside the filter box for biological filtration - to convert liquid waste from ammonia to nitrAte.

I use very fine pore prefilter sponges for mechanical filtration. The internal filters only handle the waste that is too small for me to remove during daily water changes.

discus-fan
01-30-2004, 01:37 PM
OK everyone get ready........ Here's Ms. "Beano".!!!!!

;D