PDA

View Full Version : sick fry

Sakana
01-29-2004, 08:04 PM
Hi everyone. I've hunted around for an active discus forum and finally found one. I've kept discus for the past 7 months but have run into a problem I hope someone can help me with.
I have a tank of San Merah fry, about 20 of them, hatched 10/25/03. They have been fine until the past couple days. I've lost 2 today. They turn dark colored, almost black, like from stress then die about six hours later. The face from the pectoral fins forward turns white and so is the caudal. Normal color for these guys is a pale tan with black vertical stripes and light pinkish tint around the edges. There is one more in there that has changed to the dark color and the others are all acting fine. There are no outer signs of any disease, fungus, bacteria...just the color change then death.
I keep the tanks clean with daily water changes. They are in a 20 long. The tank is heated to 86, sponge filter, live plants, and a bare bottom tank. The only other fish in with them are 2 napoensis corys who have been in with them nearly the whole time. They eat bbs, flake, and frozen bloodworms. They range in size from a quarter to 50cent piece. It also seems to be the smaller ones that have been affected...so far.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
01-29-2004, 08:12 PM
What amount of water changes are you doing on this 20 gallon tank with 20 three month old fry? I'm betting high bioload/bacteria

Sakana
01-29-2004, 08:28 PM
I alternate days, 30% one day 50% the next. Should I split the fry into another tank/increase water changes?
Thanks for your reply

brewmaster15
01-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Hi and welcome To Simply Discus!!! :)

Its possible that these fish are over eating on the blood worms or flake? Do you they look bloated when they die.. or pass any white feces?

-al

Sakana
01-30-2004, 12:45 PM
I haven't lost anymore but I have noticed the white stringy feces yesterday as you mentioned. Is this a parasitic problem instead of bacterial? If so, what should I use to treat? I've searched some discus disease sites and they may have some sort of flaggellate. white feces, not eating, dark color, and kinda hiding...

They haven't been bloated. They actually stop eating after they change color and I feed small amounts several times a day, not all of that at once. Like flake in the morning and bbs in the afternoon with a couple flake feedings after and probably a little under 1 TBSP of frozen bloodworms. I just use an eyedropper.

Carol_Roberts
01-30-2004, 11:52 PM
I'd put them in a 55 gallon tank and start a treatment with metronidazole (hex-a-mit)

Raise temp to 92+ degrees. Dose 400-500 mg per 10 gallons everyday after a 50% water change for 3 days. Feed sparingly of favorite foods. Leave temp elevated for a week past treatment and continue daily 50% water changes. slowly lower temp 1 or 2 degrees per day.

Change water need to be aerated so pH matches tank and close to the same temp as the tank water. Use the current tank to heat and circulate the change water