PDA

View Full Version : Do discus eat algae?

aquamanstl
01-30-2004, 12:16 PM
I was wondering if others can help me with this question. I recently moved my discus into an established tank with algae growth on rocks and plants. I've noticed that much of the algae is gone since moving in the discus. Is this typical or just a rare occurence? I'm pretty sure that the discus have been eating the algae because their poop has been green like a pleco that eats algae.

Thanks,

Nick

dannop
01-30-2004, 12:33 PM
It's certainly possible the discus are eating algae! What other fish are in the tank? Could it be one of them??? Quite a few of the discus food recipes people post here have greens like spinach in them so I'm sure they do like some of that stuff in their diet. I imagine it has good stuff in it for them and must taste yummy-mmmmm-mmmmm! 8)

EthanCote.com
01-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Yes discus do eat algae. I have seen them on many occassion grazing on algae. I have one now that is sick and won't eat any other food except for the algae that grows on a tank divider.

Cheerio,

Chi.

mikeos
01-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Even eat algae wafers I feed the plecs

aquamanstl
01-30-2004, 03:42 PM
That's good news then because the algae I have in the tank will then provide an additonal meal to my discus when I'm at work. I was planning on adding a bristlenose pleco to the tank to keep the algae in check but I guess the discus will just graze at it to keep it in check themselves.

Nick

Steve_Warner
01-31-2004, 05:46 PM
Hi all,
Good question, Nick! My discus graze on algae which grows on my root wood pieces in my tank. I don't know if they specifically target the algae or the fine food particles that get tangled up in it, but it sure does get munched.

Steve

RandalB
01-31-2004, 08:20 PM
I know they eat Formula 2 flakes like there's no tomorrow.. They're algae based...

RandalB

Jason
01-31-2004, 08:24 PM
Fry definately grow better when fed some algae based foods along with animal based foods.

brewmaster15
01-31-2004, 08:25 PM
absolutely... Spirulina algae for instance... is used in many feeds ..

We think of it as plant matter... but algaes also contain protein and its one of the ways that Discus can have their colors enhanced by the pigments that naturally occur in them.

-al