PDA

View Full Version : Planted tanks

ellie
01-30-2004, 03:50 PM
I only have 2 planted tanks, rest bare bottom. I will be getting an adult proven pair of Discus. I would love to put them in my planted 45 gal flatback hex in my family room where I am most of the day. This pair also raises they own fry, and I would love to watch all that goes on all the time. In that tank I have an underground filter and also an outside power filter. (can put a sponge on the outside filter intake.) or just the underground. (if i get fry).
My worry is that there might be more of a chance of the eggs and fungus. I am guessing everyone will say bare tank only, but wondering if some people have had eggs hatch ect. in a planted tank.
thanks ellie

ping
01-30-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi Ellie,

The eggs will hatch but the problem is that you will get a very small chance for the fry to survive. Once the eggs hatched, the fry wont be able to swim right away, some of them will fall down. Since you have gravel and underground filter, they might be trapped inside.

Well, not all fry will end up trapped in the gravel. Only some, but this might be enough to put stress on discus, which at the end, the parents might eat them all ;D This is where you get 0%. ;D

Just my opinion, been there done that ;D. I let my pairs to have practice in planted tank before ;D.

Well, your pair raises the fry before, but i believe that it was not in planted tank ;D.

Fry need good water quality, it's very hard to keep good quality water in planted tank. Have you seen what are under the gravel and underground filter ? ;D. I do ;D.

Sorry for yappin to long ;D. Keep them in bare bottom ;) Easier for you, easier for your discus. ;)

HTH,
Ronny :)