PDA

View Full Version : So my 12 discus just arrived....

sunspark
01-31-2004, 12:30 AM
by Fedex from Hep's Discuss Center. He has the best customer service ever! I didn't do much research before ordering but luckily I chose to order from Mike. My first batch of red melon went by Airborn Express which unfortunately doesn't deliver to my area overnight (even though they will say they do if you phone them and ask!). The poor red melons sat on the truck overnight and all perished. So, Mike sent my new batch at no charge whatsoever! Unfortunately he had none of the *stunning* red melon left, so I chose red pearl leopards, and added 6 golden sunrise. My cc is screaming lol.
I still want red melon though (next yeat when I have more money and room)

All are bigger than I though they'd be, about 3.5-4.5" and look healthy and robust except for one of the leopards who didn't do well on the trip and has been lying on his side in the tank for the past 4 hours. When he does swim around he seems fine....but them just lays down. Anything I can do for him? Suggestions?

I know I'm gonna have a ton of questions.

Currently they are all in a 55g tank until they settle in. I'll be splitting them between two 55 g tanks pretty soon. I have a big sponge filter rated for an 80g tank, and also an aqua clear 300 with 2 sponges inside and one on the intake. I plan on doing daily water changes of 20%.

Question: Why do you aerate water you are aging? I don't have chlorine in my water (haven't found out about chloramines yet but will call and found out the ph, ect). Is it just to burn off the chlorine and chloramines? Will it work for me if I just let it sit out overnight? Or do you really need to add "oxygen" to the water even if you have a good system in tank?

Thanks, Carolyn

Carol_Roberts
01-31-2004, 01:22 AM
Hi Carolyn:
For your new arrivals you may want to have the temp at 86/88 and add a couple of tablespoons salt per 10 gallons. I'd wait until tomorrow to feed them.

I age or aerate my water because the pH directly from the tap is 6.8, but after circulating (and off gasing CO2) the pH stablizes at 7.8. Discus don't like a big drop in pH. Measure the pH of the water in your discus tank and your water directly from the tap to see what your numbers are.

sunspark
01-31-2004, 03:37 AM
Thanks. I've turned the temp up and will figure out the ph tomorrow.
Cheers, Carolyn

realbetta
02-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Thanks for all encouragement from all of you. I order 8 x 2.5 inch discuss, total four color- two each. They look nice together. They are in 55 gal tank doing ok but still shy, they run away when see me. My next question is how to train them to be more friendly, I heard they can eat off owner hand, please show me how.

This is the first time I pick up fish at airport cargo, it sound complicate at first but it is now easy after first time. It is best because they arrive same day.

RyanH
02-01-2004, 03:15 AM
No training is required. Once they get used to you they will greet you every time you enter the room. Just give them some time and feed them alot.

MonkeeFish
02-01-2004, 03:43 AM
eh why only 20% , why not 30 % or 40 % , 50 % even if you wanted to , they like fresh, clean water

sunspark
02-01-2004, 02:07 PM
I was worried about my water parameters and don't have a holding/aging tank set up yet. I did do a 30% last night and the fish seemed very happy afterword. No gasping, clamping, stress bars.

My water:
temp 88
KH 107.4 ppm
GH 17.9 ppm
nitrates .25
ph 8 (ph out of tap 7.9)
ammonia 0

My water is NOT chlorinated. I still don't know about chloramines or CO2 and will call my Improvement District on Monday to find out. So, I added same temp water directly from the tap and hoped for the best.

I'm happy to say all is well this morning. The fish were all swimming around in the tank and not huddled in the corner like they have been. Keep in mind they only arrived 36 hours ago. Til this morning they have been pretty fearful and skittish and from everything I've read, I expected they would be that way for a while. This morning, however, they practically seemed ready to eat out of my hands lol! Can't say enough good things about Hep's Discus Center. Awesome fish!

Today I'll try a 50% w/c.

Cheers, Carolyn

Carol_Roberts
02-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Be sure do use a dechlor product if you are not certain whether you have chloramines or not. Your water authority has to be using something to kill bacteria. Better safe than sorry.

sunspark
02-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks, I will.
Cheers, Carolyn