PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Fast!!!!

Kevin11d
01-31-2004, 12:39 AM
Today i have lots of 1-2mm WHITE worm/bug sticking on the glass of my 50 gallons tank. They are all moving along the glass. Some of them kind of look like hatched brine shrimp and some of them look like a white string. It's freaking me out right now.

PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!!!!!!!! Can someone tell me what they are.

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin11d
01-31-2004, 01:01 AM
I think they are called Planaria. How should i deal with that?

Kevin

vickie s
01-31-2004, 01:10 AM
Clean the tank. Water change (aged water), wipe down the tank walls and clean the filter (use treated water or tank water). Planaria will go away when you clean up the nutrients they are feeding on. Take a look at your set-up like (gravel, water change schedule and feedings) to find a way to prevent them coming back.

DonnaMite
01-31-2004, 01:25 AM
Kevin,
I had that in my tank a while back also. I was told Planaria feed off of leftover food in the gravel. I vac my gravel VERY WELL now, and try not to overfeed, and, like Vicki said - be sure to wipe down your glass -- I've seen egg clusters there from Planaria (or snails?)
It can take some work, but I learned to clean my tanks more often -- one of the prices of having a planted tank I guess.

HTH, Good Luck!
Donna :)

April
01-31-2004, 01:28 AM
water change water change water change.. and.. less food for awhile.
their not dangerous..but a symptom of too much food laying about.

Carol_Roberts
01-31-2004, 01:36 AM
Yep, you have too much food disolved in the tank and in the filter too I'll bet.

Less food, more water changes, wipe down glass, rinse out filtersin dechlorinated water and in a couple of weeks they will be gone.

They will come right back if you slack on cleaning again.

Kevin11d
01-31-2004, 02:03 AM
My tank is bare bottom and i do 50 % w/c every other day. I think the sponge on the intake is causing the problem. It's stuck with beefheart and kinda slimy.

How often do you clean your sponge on the intake pipe?

Thanks for the help.

Kevin :)

fcdiscus
01-31-2004, 02:12 AM
Clean that one daily, or at least every time you do a WC. Frank

Glenn
01-31-2004, 02:14 AM
everyday

vickie s
01-31-2004, 02:17 AM
I have a sponge filter and and aquaclear. They each get rinsed and squeezed out real well under running tank water during a water change once a week (on different days). I have to turn off the aquaclear for a few minutes while the fish feed or food gets sucked into it. I have the heater and flter on a power strip so I can just flip the switch. I could also turn it down. I do not feed beefheart or anything messy (and I siphon out uneaten food and feces regularly). so your situation would be different.

Kevin11d
01-31-2004, 02:36 AM
My problem is that i'm using the bio wheel 330 and its intake is all the way at the bottom of the tank. So everytime i feed them anything, some of the food always get suck into the sponge.
I can't wait until i set up the central filter system!!

Does Planaria look like a very tiny thin worm (1-2mm)?

Kevin

Nightowl
01-31-2004, 03:04 AM
Get a small ancistrus cat....he'll clean up the tank in a hurry J.T.

lesley
01-31-2004, 03:37 AM
Hi JT,

never heard of an "ancistrus cat"??? is he the same as the corydoras?

Lesley

Nightowl
01-31-2004, 03:40 AM
Hi Lesley..... a pleco sort of fish. Does not bother the discus. :)