PDA

View Full Version : Changes to board Policy on selling....

brewmaster15
02-01-2004, 01:45 AM
Hi all,
It has become necessary for This site to institute some changes as to how things are sold on this site.

1. Effective immediately the "for sale section" is now for use only by hobbyists selling fish, merchandise, etc in a non-commercial fashion. Exceptions are at the discretion of the site's owners. The moderators and administrators of this board will determine what constitutes a commercial interest . If you have questions as to a sale you are going to post please contact me by IM or at brewmaster15@att.net to discuss it.

2. Also effective immediately.. The breeders, importers, and vendors section is now for use by site sponsors only. This is a management tool used by many other large Aquaria related sites. It benefits the site, and those that help and respect this site. To discuss sponsorships, please contact me by IM or email at brewmaster15@att.net

Additionally, posts regarding sales will not be allowed in any other sections than the above two.

I am sorry to have to do this, but with almost 3200 members we need to change how we are doing things.

Thanks,
al

FischAutoTechGarten
02-02-2004, 02:18 PM
Fantastic! Those are great changes.

Discusgeo
02-03-2004, 03:01 PM
I think the changes are a great idea and I don't mind being a sponsor as this is a wonderful place to be. Simply Discus has come a long way from day one and I have enjoyed it.
George

boxlotfish
02-07-2004, 03:24 AM
It sounds a little like the old days when a certain Italian forum was on its way out. How can I tell anyone about a special fish I have for sale if I can't post it on our forum? I have maintained a link to this site since it began and encouraged people to join and participate. I don't appreciate anyone telling me I can't sell my fish here. >:(
Thank God for Aquabid!

Loren

Rod
02-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Nice changes Al,
hopefully these changes will stop some of the problem posts simply have been having lately. personally i've never once used the buy and sell section or the importers and venders section although i do sell many discus to other simply members. This is because i post frequently trying my best to offer good advice and helpful hints and people then approach me looking for nice discus. Some of my customers then show off the discus in the photo section they buy from me and the word soon gets around that i do supply home bred discus from time to time. Never do i ask people to post pics for me or to advertise for me, that is entirely up to them if they feel they want to. I personally don't care if people do or do not 'advertise' for me, i'm here to help fellow hobbiests and to learn more about this fascinating fish than useing this site to make cash. It seems too many people want to be vendors and don't really care to help fellow discus lovers, these new changes you have instigated should go a long way to weeding them out.

Rod

RandalB
02-08-2004, 03:44 AM
Loren,
No one says you can't sell your fish here. You just can't do it without being a sponsor to Simplydiscus.com. Why don't you try contacting Brewmaster15 and finding out what sponsorship entails before you start getting upset. You may be surprised.

The SimplyDiscus.com Team
Simply The Best on the net

boxlotfish
02-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Randal: I don't intend on being a full time moderator or financial investor. Sponsor, represents investment of some nature that I don't have to invest.
Its all I can do to stay in business and shuck out the $40 hosting fees every month. I sure as heck don't need any more.

Loren ???

brewmaster15
02-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Loren,

I don't appreciate anyone telling me I can't sell my fish here excuse me but last I checked I own this board, and pay all the bills here..if you want to talk about a financial investment with no return, and little appreciation. A little respect would go a long way here.

That said, I understand that it must be upsetting to find that something that was free to your business at my expense now has a "pricetag" and requires a committment to the hobbyists here on your part....but thats how it is. Period.
Before you get too indignant over it though .. You should drop me an email and get your facts .

-al

Ps.. I can save you money on your hosting fees . Work with me Loren.. Not against and You might be surprised .. My intent is not to hurt anyones business.......But I have to do what I feel is best for this Board and its membership. These new rules now give me the tools do that.

boxlotfish
02-08-2004, 02:06 PM
Al: I was not getting indignant on Ya. I have seen all the boards since they all started and stopped. I have seen all the problems you have and all the problems the fish sellers have. I wish I had an easy answer for you other than just keep on keeping on. People appreciate your work here as I do. I just can't show my appreciation with money as some can. I have 30 some odd web sites on my hosting that are basically free to starving artist of all sorts and my son Simon supports them with updates and improvements. I have lost money in the fish business for 2 years now and don't expect it to get much better soon. If you want to support 30 web sites and can do it for less than $40 a month then yes you can help. It sounds like you are getting tired of the board work and are ready for a change of your own. I have seen it many times where the cost out weighs the fun.
Just try to have some fun!
Loren

PS: I like the new web site. I think it needs some fun though. Information is cheap but fun cost time and money. I would suggest that the members could suggest ideas about this. If a Pet Shop can take suggestions then I suppose "suggestions" can work here also.

brewmaster15
02-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Loren,
Reread your posts and tell me again you are not indignant over this.

Realistically, Though I feel for you and your fish Business woes, and commend the starving artists sites... Thats not my concern... SimplyDiscus and its members are. My advice is let your starving artists use the number of free internet site hostings, and talk to me about hosting your fish site...But thats my unsolicited advice offered as a means to put money back into your financially troubled pocket.

I am not tired of the board, but I am tired of many people's perpetual criticisms over what we do here. When I had that probelm on another board, I went out and did something about it...Too many people like to complain and too few actually act on it, IMO. Though I am used it by now... This is a classic one.. You are complaining about something you know nothing about it except its doesn't go along with what you want this site to be.

If you won't even take the time to get your facts straight here, I can't help you. If you are not a sponsor you can not sell commercially on this board. Do so and the post will be deleted. There is no exception. I will not discuss it further with you on the board. My email is brewmaster15@att.net ..if you are really concerned over this...Use it ...If not, don't complain about it without even knowing what you are complaining about.
-al

boxlotfish
02-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Al: I don't have any complaints. Sorry to have bothered you, Loren :-\