PDA

View Full Version : Eggs on heater tube??

gump
02-01-2004, 09:39 PM
I've been keeping discus for about three years now with no success at getting a pair!! Today(Superbowl Sunday...GO PATS!! I had a female lay eggs on the heater tube and the male fertilize them. This is their first spawn and I'm not too concerned this time, however, should I turn this heater off & rely on the other one in the tank? Eggs have been on the heater for several hours now!!
Pierre

Discusgeo
02-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Gump you are lucky if your heater hasn't come on. I would unplug it and put another one in it just to see if the eggs are fertile or not. It will also give the parents some learning experience.
George

RyanH
02-02-2004, 12:34 AM
I place my heates toward the bottom of my tanks and position them horizontally. This usually discourages the parents from laying eggs on the heaters and it makes water changes much easier.

Nightowl
02-02-2004, 01:01 AM
Is there anything else to lay eggs on next time? They won't usually choose the heater(s) if there is.
hth J.T.

gump
02-02-2004, 08:00 AM
There was a piece of slate there, which they were cleaning off. She was also making a few passes on the slate but when it came time to actually do it, she chose the heater tube instead. I'm not overly concerned for this batch. I'll just watch & cherish the moment. They are in a 108 gal."discus community tank". Now that I know I have a pair, I will place them in a seperate tank after a spawn or two!!
Pierre

Mike_T
02-03-2004, 09:53 AM
...and just so the heater doesn't look tempting in the future, turn it so it's almost completely horizontal in the tank. congratulations.

-mike t 8)

gump
02-03-2004, 06:12 PM
I have the heater at about a 45 degree angle. I will make a few changes before next time. It has been about 48 hours now & eggs are still there. Parents have done well so far protecting them from the other 16 discus in the tank!! Here is a pic of the female laying her eggs.
Pierre

hexed
02-03-2004, 06:47 PM
You can get breeding cones on aquabid.com and sometimes on ebay. It is listed under "breeding supplies" on aquabid and just type in breeding cone or discus on ebay. I got mine from both places. Ask the seller about the mesh covering if it isn't listed with the item. I believe the seller is rosenthol pottery or something like that.

RyanH
02-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Wow, she's actually nearly upsidedown!

nokoto
02-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Looks interesting

May be they can swing for heater heaters...

Instead of chandleers

LOL :o

Wayne