PDA

View Full Version : A/C 300 filters...

ramblin101
02-02-2004, 07:03 PM
I've just purchased some AC 300 filters to add filtration to my tanks. They come with 1 sponge and charcoal. Should I add another sponge leaving the charcoal out or should I put 3 sponges in the compartment? What do you all suggest?
Thanks.

Ed

Tad
02-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Ed,
Leave the carbon out and use 2 sponges. Save the carbon to be used to remove medication etc if ever needed.

JMO,
Tad

RyanH
02-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Hey Ed,

Listen to Tad. Use the sponges and keep the carbon for removing meds. :)

delmore
02-02-2004, 10:54 PM
The sponge will last for years. It's a nice filter - very easy to maintain. I'm sure you know that you rinse the media in a bucket of old tank water. Never use chlorinated water, bleach, etc.

MonkeeFish
02-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Since we're talking about AC, does those Ammonia remove thingy works????

Tad
02-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Monkeefish,
IME yes the ammonia insert does work to a certain extent. I normally do a fishless cycle and when I newly stock if I do see a spike I will do WCs and use the insert. Again with the ammonia insert that comes with the AC's I store it and keep it on hand if I should ever need to use it.
I normally stack it on top of my 2 sponge filters if and when I use them. In all respect WCs will handle ammonia spikes better ;)

HTH,
Tad

Keystonediscus
02-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Ed I would also Suggest adding some filter floss either under the 2 sponge inserts or on top. This will final polish your water and filter out what slips through the spounge media. Both Medias can be rinsed and reused. the floss will need to be changed after a few rinses as it will get full of debri eventually. I use Aquaclears on all my tanks and they work Great