PDA

View Full Version : Sick Fry

fredd
02-03-2004, 04:45 PM
i have a batch of 6 week old fry which have been doing really well untill the last couple of days wen ive noticed 4 of them at seperate times start to whizz round in circles and dart round the tank almost uncontrolably.they then settle down for a bit before it starts up again. after a couple of hours of this they die. all of them have ended up with there bodies curved wen they died. ive been doing 30% wc's twice a day with hma water. ph 7.5,temp 29, ammonia,nitrites=0. any ideas wots causing this?

Carol_Roberts
02-03-2004, 05:56 PM
I don't know what hma water is.

How many fry - what size tank? This sounds like bacterial or flukes. If lots of fry and small tank two 30% wc per day may not be enough.

Formalin may help, but you want to have your stocking density and water changes figured out too.

fredd
02-03-2004, 06:10 PM
hi carol, thanks for the reply. hma is the same as cbr water in that it has run thru a carbon filter and a sediment filter to remove all metals and chlorine etc.there are about 40 fry in a 25 gallon tank. they r moving to a 55 on sunday. i thought it might be gill flukes as 1 or 2 r using their gills quite rapidly so i started to treat with sterizin. only 1 died today. :( would salt help do u think? i have 3 lots of fry on the go now so trying to juggle tank space a bit.

Carol_Roberts
02-04-2004, 01:16 AM
Salt may help - you can use it with formalin - extra water changes will help too.