PDA

View Full Version : breeding tank

Kevin11d
02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
I just bought a 33G tank for my breeding pair and i want to know what's the safest way to move them to that new tank. My existing tank has a ph of 7.2 and hardness of 120ppm.

Can i put 15G from existing tank water and 15G RO water in the new tank? I also have a fully cyceld sponge filter that i can put into that new tank.

Is it fine to put my pair into that new tank TONIGHT or do i have to wait for an other month?
I'm scared by adding that 15G RO water will destroyed the cycle.

Kevin

RyanH
02-03-2004, 11:55 PM
As long as the water temperature is close to that of the other tank you should be fine. Just don't leave the filter in the tank for a long period of time without fish with or you will lose your bacteria to starvation.

Kevin11d
02-04-2004, 02:27 AM
Do i have to aged RO water? The ph for RO water is 6.2.

will i be able to put my pair in the new tank by tomorrow night?

Carol_Roberts
02-04-2004, 02:29 AM
If you have 33 gallons of aged water (same temp and pH as the tank the discus are in now) you can fill the new tank, add the cycled sponge filter and the discus pair.

If you don't have 33 gallons of aged water you can fill the new 33 gallon up with warm tap water and run an airstone (and heater) in it over night so the temp and pH match the current tank. Tomorrow you can add the cycled sponge filter and discus pair.

Since you have RO water I'm assuming you mix and store your water in a holding tank.

RyanH
02-04-2004, 02:42 AM
I wouldn't worry about adding RO to the new tank at this point. I would just start them out with the same water params that they had in their old tank. Your RO water is significantly more acidic, so you want to add it gradually through water changes to avoid freaking your fish out. Discus do not like sudden drops in pH. They probably aren't going to want to start cranking out babies for you right away anyway. Just get the tank set up. let the water sit over night and then add your fish.

Also, it was my understanding that RO water by its very nature should have a neutral or close to neutral pH. Yours seems quite acidic. You may want to drop a post in the water section and see what RandalB's opinion is about that. He is the water expert.

hth
-Ryan

Kevin11d
02-04-2004, 01:39 PM
I just moved my pair into the new tank. They seems to be fine, didn't turned dark or hiding at the corner. They just didn't swim around as usual, i think they are still adjusting to the new enviornment.

I use 1/3 of RO water, 1/3 of aged water and 1/3 of existing tank water.

Thanks for the help!!

Kevin