PDA

View Full Version : Help!! me to understand UV Sterilizers..pls

tag
02-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Hello,

Please.. any information as to the use or need, good or bad thoughts on UV sterilizers. Anything better to use along side usual filtration?
Having trouble with green water, had ich trouble...wondering if there's something I can do to make the water quality better besides the obvious wc wc wc :-\ currently running a rena canister and seems to be fine...don't want overkill but would like to know where if anywhere I can improve. 125 gallon, wc every other day of approx 30%.Vacumning like crazy!! :)

Thanks a bunch!

Tad
02-04-2004, 03:16 PM
tag,

UV will work on reducing the bacterial and algae issues in a tank however:

UV sterilizers are not necessary for a healthy discus aquarium, I currently do have one that I would only use if I was experiencing a major bacterial issue. Its much better to correct the problem that is causing you the green water problem then to invest into an expensive "not necessary" UV unit.

What I recall is that Ich can be controlled with an aquarium temp of 85f but Im not sure your clown loaches can take such a temp.

Water changes is the easiest and most efficient way to keep a discus tank healthy.

IMO,
Tad

tag
02-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks Tad, that's what I was wondering. I currently have a credit at a lfs that I was going to use for something that might be of some benefit to the discus. I wouldn't consider fish ;)I guess I should explain that I would definately run another filter other than just the canister but I made the bad mistake of setting the tank up too close to the surrounding wall :( I guess I could run it off the front but I'd rather not. The ich can and did survive in temps over 84 -85. I raised the temp to 90 which was the magic number but it was extremely hard on the clown loaches. I'm on the way to slowly reducing the temp now...guess that hasn't helped with the green either :-\.

Well thanks again Tad for taking the time to help me out with this.