PDA

View Full Version : how often should you feed breeding pair

sublimetruth1982
02-04-2004, 06:09 PM
I'm new here, I just registered a minute ago. I was wondering how often should you feed a breeding pair after just laying eggs on a cone. I currently have one active pair that lay every week. But after the eggs hatch the fry seem to go on their own way. Some try to attached to the parents but they just shake them off. I've been trying for a good six months and still haven't suceeded. when they do hatch there's to many to count, but when I turn out the lights and go to bed and wake up the next morning and seeing just a couple swimming around. Any comments would be helpful.

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-04-2004, 06:36 PM
I normally feed my pairs 2 times a day(morning and again at night), except when they have eggs/wigglers, I cut back to once a day. How big of a tank is you pair in? If it is to big, the fry cannot find the parents and will die off within a few hours. As for the parents eating the babies....It sounds like they are just new at the parenting thing. They will eat their babies if they are not experienced enough. HTH

-Ryan

sublimetruth1982
02-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Hey Ryan thanks for the reply. I have my pair in a 20 gallon tank with just a sponge filter and a heater of course. I'm using pvc pipe as the breeding cone. I've had these pair for a while and they have laid more times then I can count. I try my best to keep the water clean, so I try not to feed them to much but they are always hungery. Maybe I should do more water changes. The active pair is laying every week for the last six months. I'm thinking about just putting the pair back in the community tank, because I don't think the babies will be of good quality. The female is a pigeon blood and the male is a brillant blue, I think. I have another pair but I think their females. I have tried for so long to succeed. I'm about to give up and try another pair, something that I will have a good idea what the babies will come out to be. Thanks again for your reply.

sublimetruth1982

Carol_Roberts
02-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Try keeping the lights on 24/7 - at least a room light - to help the babies attach