PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of this cloudy water?

jules
02-04-2004, 09:09 PM
I am having a cloudy water episode in my 20g bb. I can see fine white particles and a film on top of the water.
I am using an AC150 with a pre filter which I wash every day in water softener water. I do daily 10-15% water changes.
I am using an ammonia filter and foam bio filter.
Nitrites are zero, Ph is 7.5 and temp is 87. I have a Spider Plant rooting to absorb any nitrates.
There are 3 small Discus who eat a variety everyday including Discus Delight.
Any ideas?
Thanks!!!

KARINA
02-04-2004, 11:51 PM
hey jules i just had the same problem at least i think i did does your water has odor? can you tell if it's getting worse ( claudier) is it milky color or just cloudy?, is it a new set up? more details if you can it will be easier to see what's happening in your tank

ronrca
02-05-2004, 10:35 AM
When was the last time you cleaned your filter? Any meds lately? Ammonia readings?

02-05-2004, 10:56 AM
I am having a cloudy water episode in my 20g bb. I can see fine white particles and a film on top of the water.
I am using an AC150 with a pre filter which I wash every day in water softener water. I do daily 10-15% water changes.
I am using an ammonia filter and foam bio filter.
Nitrites are zero, Ph is 7.5 and temp is 87. I have a Spider Plant rooting to absorb any nitrates.
There are 3 small Discus who eat a variety everyday including Discus Delight.
Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Hi, Jules:

At times I get a cloud but not jelly clouds. I usually take my mags (magnets) and run them across the interior glass. This helps me remove the build up of brown and green algae. Your water parameters sounds just fine. Did you add too much of the water dechlorinated formula (like Stress coat)? That could be it too. I don't do daily water changes like many on this forum because of the build up of Stress Coat (which has Aloe Vera Gel to protect and heal the skins). This might be your case since Stress Coat and water dechlorinaters do leave a slight gel-film in the water.

Regards,

**Angie**

Carol_Roberts
02-05-2004, 12:58 PM
ou are using an ammonia filter? What's that and why are you using it?

jules
02-05-2004, 04:53 PM
I treated the tank with Paragon 11 a few weeks ago for hex and flukes; then I replaced the filtration media and added Cycle(I assumed the meds had caused a bacterial bloom because the cloudiness seemingly appeared afterwards). I had a slight nitrite reading <.25. It is now at zero; as is ammonia. I cleaned the interior foam block less than a week ago in tap water ( I have Bio in the ammonia filter). I clean the pre filter everyday.
The water does not smell bad. It is cloudy with a slight film - not jell like. It is well water so there is no chlorine/chloramine. It does seem to be cloudier by evening (perhaps it's due to algae or is it bacteria feeding on the fine particles from the frozen foods) ???

Carol: I use an Aquaclear Ammonia Remover Insert as a precaution.

02-05-2004, 05:35 PM
The well water is fresh water from the rains you get in Canada so you're right it does not contain chlorine and/or chloramines. Is the well water the same smell and color as your previous water changes??? Maybe you can have it tested once more just to be certain nothing changed.

When you washed your sponge out with tap water, did you use an anti-bacterial soap to clean it out (like dishwashing soap)? If you did, then it's okay. I do this with my filter sponge (Whisper). You have to use lukewarm water (plenty of it) to clean out the soap completely from the sponge or otherwise this too causes cloudiness and nitrate spikes. But you mentioned that your nitrates are at ZERO, which is a good sign. So that eliminates the sponge issue.

The Cycle you used could have been a bad batch. I don't use Cycle because I did get a bad bottle. It clouded my tank and made my fish all crazed. After that, I didn't use it no more. I made a comment about it on the forum a while back, and noticed that many pros on this forum did the same thing too.. they aborted the Cycle and quick-ready bacteria formulas! It's the best thing for me. I don't have the fish going crazy any more.

Then another possibility would be the foods you gave them recently. Some frozen foods may have been a bad batch (refrozen by the LFS). Check to see if your frozen foods are not too dark in color (just shop around and compare all the LFS' frozen foods and look at the general coloration of them. This will be a sure sign to let you know the true color of the frozen foods).

Lastly, and I hate to get into this... medications. All the more reasons why I don't use many of the meds found in the LFS. I am a firm believer of 100% natural Tea Tree Oil. As long as the bottle of TTO hasn't been tampered with, I can keep many of those water mites out of my water (including the eggs/larvae). This cleans my tank very well and keeps my fish (hating it of course) more healthy (externally and internally). You can try clearing out the tank at about a good 70% and cleansing the interior walls with a little TTO on a sponge mop (if tank is large) and with an absorbent paper towel. Then refill the tank and drop about a few little drops in the tank and wait. TTO will cloud but it will dissipate and blend into the water killing any eggs or larvae if any. It does not harm your bio-wheel. With carbon-filters, I had no problem with it. I've used both Emperor 280, 400 and now Whisper 40.

Whew! Kind of long. But I enjoy typing. I'm a 100-words per minute chic. Hey, I hope you find the cure quickly. **Angie**

Carol_Roberts
02-05-2004, 08:57 PM
You likely impaired your filter with meds and are having a bacterial bloom while it catches up. I would not use the ammonia insert - it may stall the good bacteria . Do water changes if you show an ammonia reading. Your tank should get back in balance in several days.

jules
02-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi Angie - I think the Cycle was ok because the cloudiness appeared before I used it. I feed the same foods in another tank and the water is crystal clear. :)

02-06-2004, 09:39 AM
I agree with Carol....especially the bit about the ammonia filter. They not only STALL the cycling process...they STARVE IT. Your bio filter NEVER WILL get up to full speed with an ammonia pillow in the tank.
They work great untill they're exhausted....then you get an ammonia spike because your bio filter isnt fully established.

I believe this was Karina's problem also....

Tony

02-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Hi ALL:

I learn a lot everyday...

Inquiry: The ammonia pillow, is it filled with the carbon bits? You know like those in Marineland's Diamond Blend?

I use that for my filter. At current, I'm using the Whisper 40. I toss between the Emperor 280 and 400.

Thanks. **Angie**

jules
02-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys - it is looking better - I think the meds did impair the filter.

Aquaclear recommends replacing the ammonia filters on a monthly basis - I assume it would be used up at that point. What do you think?

Also if nitrites are zero - would this not indicate the cycle is complete and the bio filter is up to full speed?

02-06-2004, 10:23 AM
Hey Jules: Again NYC is underseige with flooding waters, hail, snow, sleet, you name it! Every time you contact me... uhm.... You Canadians up dear! ;D

I had an inkling that it was the meds! Didn't I tell ya. But nonetheless, glad it's over. Now you know. Those meds do something wacky in the water and the fish. I didn't know what those Ammonia Pillars were about.

So now what I think? Not sure. Your water criteria was perfect. It may be like Carol said, a small bloom of bacteria. With any medication installed in tank, you should change the filter as carbon removes medication. But since your ammonia/nitrate level was zero, it was just some sort of fluke or perhaps one of those discus pueked up some meds. :sick: I've seen discus do this (with Clout). They vomit it out! Literally, causing the clouds in the water. **Angie**

Thanks guys - it is looking better - I think the meds did impair the filter.

Aquaclear recommends replacing the ammonia filters on a monthly basis - I assume it would be used up at that point. What do you think?

Also if nitrites are zero - would this not indicate the cycle is complete and the bio filter is up to full speed?

02-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Aquaclear recommends replacing the ammonia filters on a monthly basis

Of course they do Jules...they like your money ;)

Not really....Worst case scenario:There isnt any ammonia(because of the pillow) for the bio filter to consume...there wont be any nitrItes or nitrAtes.

Best case scenario: The Pillow absorbes MOST of the ammonia...the bio filter consumes a SMALL amount, allowing a SMALL amount of nitrosomonas and nitrobacters to survive. But when the pillow becomes exhausted....there isnt enough bacteria in the filter to consume the excess ammonia and you get a temporary ammonia/nitrite spike while the bacteria multiplies.

Tony

jules
02-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Tony since you're marrying such a nice gal I'll take your word for it ;)

Angie - the ammonia filter does appear to have bits of carbon in it.

02-06-2004, 01:59 PM
;D ding..ding...ding...ding.... Class dismissed.... False alarm, Jules????

Have us worrying bout da fryguys and frydolls? Cut it out, girly-girl. :D

Thanks for the info. I quess I use those ammonia pads too! They're in the Emperor 400. It's called "cartridge filter". heeee...heeee.... ;D

Oh, well. Glad all is well. Toodooles, everybody!

**Angie**