PDA

View Full Version : DEHUMIDIFIERS

lwarctic
02-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Just curious which dehumidifier works well for everyone? I have my tanks in the garage and the humidity is awfully high out there. Is there a portable dehumidifier that would help my problem out that is of good quality. I was reading a bit about them and they were saying on the web that Sears was having some recalls on theirs.

Thanks for all your comments.

Les

:D :D :D

RyanH
02-05-2004, 07:47 PM
I'm still waiting for a dehumidifier that doesn't make the room unbearably hot.

susankay1
02-05-2004, 08:28 PM
I am using a Whirlpool portable model that lets you control the fan speed and humidity and I love it. Keeps my house at 50% or less (running 20 tanks) and I never have a problem with excess heat from it. I got lucky when I bought it, I was looking around the thrift stores and found if for $10.00. HTH Susan

aloha_discus
02-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Aloha Les, the brand I use is Goldstar. I purchased it at Wal Mart for approx $175. I like the heat that is emitted from dehumidifiers as it keeps the room warm therefore the individual tank heaters dont come as often. Also coming from a warm climate to Nebraska allows me to think I am back home, you know with the sound of the water flowing and the heat. All I need now are the hula dancers and the sand.

Ike ;D

RyanH
02-05-2004, 09:19 PM
(in my best Homer Simpson voice) .....mmmm.....hula dancers........ ;D

JeffreyRichard
02-06-2004, 11:03 AM
You should look into an Air Exchanger ... an Air Exchanger brings in fresh (drier) air from the outside and expells the stale humid air. Most have a built in heat exchange so you loss only a % of the heat in the air.

I have one ... it's working real well at the moment ... my room temperature is about 70. About 90% of the moisture is expelled. When I shut down the AE during the past cold spells (a week of under 10 degrees), the room became VERY wet ... I can see and feel the difference.

Check with JEHMCO http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/HARDWARE_/Air_Exchanger/air_exchanger.html

goldengatediscus
02-06-2004, 11:20 PM
I bought a Kenmore through Ebay. There are some pretty good prices through Ebay. I think that it's a good investment. Keeps the air drier and mold from growing, keeps the room warmer, and makes the room smell a lot better. The musty smell can get into everything in storage in the garage or room. Putting covers on all the tanks and having a dehumidifier really helped me with humidity issues in the Winter. I was suprised at the amount of water that was removed from the air. Summer here is hot/warm and dry, so I don't use the dehumidifier in the Summer.
HTH.
Brigitte