PDA

View Full Version : Is this hex?

Molly525
02-06-2004, 01:34 AM
Attached (hopefully) is a picture of my sick discus. He eats fine but has this sunken area. He also passes gas bubbles after he eats and has long stringy dark feces. He does not hide and seems happy and well-adjusted. The feces aren't white, he isn't dark, he isn't hiding, but something is obviously wrong.

I have tried treating with salt and epsom salts. I do daily water changes religiously.

I have 11 babies in the 75 gal tank that are all approx 3 inches.

Is this hex?

Carol_Roberts
02-06-2004, 03:23 AM
Your fish is bloated or constipated. Epsom salt will help. HE is gettin the lion's share of the food and is swallowing it before it has soaked up enough water.

Molly525
02-06-2004, 10:15 AM
I've put a teaspoon of epsom salt per 5 gal. Do I need to do that every day with the wc? I saw in another post that you said if it doesn't help in a day or so it won't help. He actually looks fine first thing in the morning before they eat breakfast. Maybe I should just feed soaked bits for a while?

dannop
02-06-2004, 11:12 AM
I recently had a bloated discus die on me-can it actually kill a discus if not treated or treated right? Or was this probably some other ailment?

Carol_Roberts
02-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Hi Molly:
Yes, try soaking the food and see if it helps. Maybe scatter it more in the tank. You onlyu need to use epsom salt if they start to shimmy and look uncomfortable.

Hi Danop:
Yes, they can die from constipation or bloat, but it would have to be much worse than that pictured.

dannop
02-06-2004, 01:12 PM
The fish I referred to had eaten quite a bit of CBW the day before and in the morning when fed seemed rather slugish although I did not notice any bloat before I left for work. By the time I got back from work the fish was breathing very heavily, very bloated and on the verge of death. I quickly changed him to another tank and he hung on for a while then died. The other fish in the tank with him was unnaffected. There had been a bacterial bloom in the tank that I treated with the "clear" tank stuff and that is the only other factor that may be involved-a bad reaction to whatever that chemical was-although again the other fish seemed unaffected. Any thoughts on this situation? Thanks for all your advice and wisdom as always Carol!!! :)