PDA

View Full Version : bare bottom

jdruff8
02-07-2004, 01:11 PM
hi guys, i've been debating bare bottom and i really don't want to have to. WOuld it help if i removed several decorations like pots and spread the gravel real thin, removing alot of it? I vacuum my tank weekly

jules
02-07-2004, 01:28 PM
It will be easier to clean without the decorations/pots.
You will not get the same growth with gravel though, regardless of the amount.

Carol_Roberts
02-07-2004, 01:50 PM
This is exactly why gravel does not work I vacuum my tank weekly

You need to vacuum the bottom of your tank everyday. when you finally go bare bottom you will be saying to your self "my goodness I had no idea all this food and feces was in my gravel"

Willie
02-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Real pain trying to clean a tank with gravel. Everytime you wipe down, you end up scratching the glass.

Willie

P.S. Yes, you have to wipe down weekly!

jdruff8
02-07-2004, 04:38 PM
hi guys
I made the switch to bare bottom! lol i lef 2 plants in though and a pice of wood. what do you mean "wipe down" Also, if i add discus larger than the others, will it be bad?

Willie
02-07-2004, 04:45 PM
All the surfaces should be wiped down weekly because the slime coating falls off. Otherwise, the glass is covered with a film of bacteria. I wipe down the glass sides and bottom, the heater, the filter surfaces and anything else I can get my hands on once a week. Some people do more.

Also, you must quarantine discus from different sources before putting them together.

Good luck, Willie

jdruff8
02-07-2004, 04:54 PM
hey ok, i can use those magnet things that you push around from the outside with the other on the inside? and also, in a bare bottom, the clown loaches seem bored and are jetting all over since the tank is more empty, won't this scare the discus?

Carol_Roberts
02-07-2004, 08:01 PM
yes, they will. That's why we keep discus by themselves. ;D