PDA

View Full Version : Sudden death when other fish are OK

Galina
02-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi, last night I lost my favourite fish, my golden Princess. She was one year old and was the best. She was Alpha boss but treated everyone wery well, was very friendly to me and very funny. She ate OK, swam, was cheeky as always. I left tank for 10 minutes to talk on the phone and when returned she was dead. Other fish are OK, they eat, play, chase, etc. I have 150 litres tank, BB, good pwoerhead filter, Wc 30-4-%, diet -0 BW, pellets (pre-soaked), beefheart. Ph - 6.5, ammonia and nitrate are Ok. I age and aerate water for 24 hours, add AquaPlus dechorinator and Geo-Liquid for Discus. What went so terribly wrong? She was so lively and gorgeous.
I know it is difficult to answer this question at distance but I really want to know how to prevent such things again. I never will have such gorgeous fish again, she was beautiful, to me at least.
Thank you very much in advance.

discus_nw
02-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Only an autopsy could give you a definate answer. It's happened to me, and everyone else who has kept numbers discus for any amount of time. One night before I went to bed, I was looking over 10 discus in a tank and determined which one I thought was going to be the best of the bunch (which were purchased several months prior). The next morning, it was dead. It was only 6 months old. Who knows what had happened. It appeared to be healthy and robust.

Galina
02-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Thank you very much, Mat, for your reply. Made me feel a bit better and less desperate.

discus_nw
02-09-2004, 11:04 PM
As discus keepers we can only control a certain amount of what goes on with our fish and their condition. Maintain that part well, and you'll do well if you started with good stock to begin with. But always remember, "JUST SAY NO TO CBW's" ;)

Galina
02-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks Mat, for being kind and supportive.
Make a margin for a blonde though: what is CBW?

KARINA
02-09-2004, 11:42 PM
CBW stands for california black worms galina

discus_nw: would you explain to us why?

discus_nw
02-10-2004, 12:05 AM
There has been an ongoing battle for years that spilled over to at least 4-5 different forums about the pros and cons of feeding blackworms. Some believe that cbw's are disease carrying vermin while others deny this and praise the mud sucking creature for its nutritional value. Neither side has backed down on their stance publicly, although privately, some now do admit the possibilty of cbw's to carry pathogens, such as bacteria, protozoa, and parasitic worms.

Not looking to start any arguements yet again about these worms, all I will say is "Just say no to CBW's" or use at your own risk, but know you've been warned. ;)

02-10-2004, 12:28 AM
Galina,

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your favorite discus. It's hard to lose any of them whether it's your most favorite or least favorite, they are yours and they know you and admire you for caring for them!

Hey hang in there; you'll get more pretty ones just like it. I'm sure many long-time folks on this forum will agree.

Regards,

**Angie**

Galina
02-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Thank you guys for your support. One more question: is CBD the same thing as bloodworms? I feed my fish with bloodworms (frozen). I wash it in water, though. Wish you all the best.

Carol_Roberts
02-10-2004, 06:20 PM
California black worms really are worms. Blood worms are mosquito larva.

I feed black worms. I rinse them daily in cold, dechlorinated water stored in the fridge next to the worms.

Black, wriggly worms are healthy. Tan sluggish worms are not.

02-10-2004, 06:34 PM
:thumbsup: Yep, Carol's right! BWs are mosquito larvae. **Angie**