PDA

View Full Version : New discus not eating

tag
02-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Hello everyone, I purchased a discus from a lfs that was highly recommended by a simplydiscus member for their great stock of discus in another post. I have to agree with the lfs remarks.The new discus is alot more docile than my discus. I have a big turq that tends to be alittle pushy with newcomers his size(5"or more).Unlike most discus when the turq pushes, the new discus just takes it rather than bolting away as most in the tank due.He's since seemed to find his "own" spot in the tank and does sometimes hang out with the group.the big turq seems to have eased off.It comes over at feeding time and goes through the routine but doesn't eat..maybe a bloodworm or tetra bit or two...not enough in any case. Given this is my first new intro other than some juveniles which don't seem to have got the same treatment. Is this normal? I've called the store and they were feeding bits and bloodworms as well so I'm not feeding anything out of the usual for this guy.The new discus seems bright (blue diamond) eyes clear and fins high.What can I do to make this transformation easier? I was considering another discus from the same store...do you think a known buddy would help the scenario? He is the only other discus nearly the turqs exact size. The discus still at the store is also of the same size.

Thanks as always for any help/suggestions you can offer.

Wasn't sure where to post...hope this was an ok choice.

Carol_Roberts
02-09-2004, 12:51 PM
It's alway difficult for an a single adult fish to be added to an existing tank. Many times a healthy adult will get sick when bagged and moved to new water and a new enviornment.

One reason quarantine is recommended is to gve the new fish time to adjust to new water conditons after the stress of being bagged and before the stress of meeting established tank mates.

In the quarantine tank you would have raised the temperture, added salt, waited to make sure he was eating good and still healthy before adding to your existing discus several weeks later.

You might try a divider, raising the temperature and adding salt now. watch closely for white, stringy feces.

If you think you might buy more discus in the future get at least a 29 gallon tank to use for quarantine (or hospital). You can get an extra filter going for it in the tank you have now.

tag
02-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the reply, I do have a quarantine/hospital tank (35 gallon) trouble is I unexpectedly came across this amazing discus find and the quarantine is already in use. The discus appeared to be in very good health and I know I was taking a huge chance but the odds seemed good. I'm asking this question now specifically because I'm only familiar with the behaviour in the quarantine with newcomers. Hope I haven't made a mistake and would still appreciate hearing from anyone that has at some point taken the same chance.

Does it take a couple of days to become familiar with the surroundings? I really don't want to move the new discus again....or should I?

Carol_Roberts
02-09-2004, 06:08 PM
It may take a couple of week before he settles in. Really a divider may help. It will keep the other discus away from him and let him eat.