PDA

View Full Version : RO! it's not just for fish anymore....

jeep
02-09-2004, 10:31 PM
I've used RO water for years, even long before I kept discus, simply because it makes all cofee, tea and juices taste so good.

Recently I've been doing some work for a friend of mine... A sweet little old lady who hasn't really had anything "new" most of her life. We got to talking about my fish and how I use RO water on them and how I also use RO for drinking and cooking. After listening to me she asked where she could get a filter for herself and I said I know JUST the man!

I was reluctant to contact Randal because this was not for fish, but I told him what I was interested in and he hooked me up with a real nice 75gpd drinking unit for about 1/2 the cost of the WAY inferior 10gpd units from the local home improvement stores.

I installed it for my friend for her 78th birthday today and man was she happy! Now she wants all her friends to come over and "drink some RO". LOL.....

Thanks Randal!!!

Brian

02-10-2004, 01:04 AM
That is a real great, nice thing you did Brian :)

Am glad that there a still floks around which bring a smile on a senior.

Also a big thanks to you Randal.

Ronald

Jeff
02-10-2004, 01:11 AM
Cool Deal!!!! :)

korbi_doc
02-10-2004, 10:12 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2:Hey guys!! I'm a senior too!! J/K Have 2 R/Os & still haven't set up the addition Randal sent me cuz haven't figured out the process yet. Maybe I should use the old one in the kitchen for the coffee, it really makes a difference huh?? lol, Dottie ;D ;D

gillyweed
02-10-2004, 10:39 AM
I actually am going to pick up a 3rd R/O Drinking unit (75GPD) from RandalB this weekend!!! I'm slowly converting my relatives/friend to get an R/O unit for their everyday drinking needs!

And they really appreciated that tasty water. My son called it the "sweet water"!!! Sweeter is his high quality R/O unit costs much less than ANY lfs, online store, or dealer's "On Sale" prices!!! And the services/supports that RandalB provides behind his products is SUPER!!!

My side benefits is I diverted some of the "sweet water" to a breeding pair. Hopefully I'll learn something about breeding discus.

Thanks to RandalB.

gw

korbi_doc
02-10-2004, 11:02 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I've been told that there is a product to add to R/O water to make it taste (better)? Not a flavor just an additive maybe to give it a taste. Has anyone heard this or used something like this? Forgot to ask, Randal? lol, Dottie ;D

Tonyintx
02-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Good job.

RandalB
02-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Glad I could be of assistance Brian! Great thing for you to do for your friend. All too often we forget the seniors. Kudo's to you 'Bro!

Dottie, All you have to do is run the water through a polishing filter and it tastes great.. No additives necessary..

RandalB

jn4u
02-10-2004, 05:28 PM
A really funny storie ;)

Fish_Fin-atic
02-10-2004, 06:55 PM
Are you guys sure this is safe? I think I read somewhere that if you drink pure R.O. water, you will need to take mineral supplements or the R.O. water will actually "rob" your body of trace elements, and make your bones weaker, also it has no fluoride, so you have to watch how you care for your teeth. I'm not sure where I heard this, or if there's any truth to it, but based on the fact that keeping Discus in pure R.O. without any addatives causes some problems - maybe there's a grain of truth to it?

jeep
02-10-2004, 07:56 PM
It was pleasure doing business with you for about the third time now Randal. I'll be hooking myself up soon...

Trace minerals and other supplements are abundant in almost every other selection of foods. Plus, flouride is in your toothpaste. Ever drink "mineral" or bottled water? Look at the label: REVERSE OSMOSIS...

Brian

ping
02-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Wow... nice Brian :) :thumbsup:
I need RO too :) One day ;D.

Regards,
Ronny

RandalB
02-11-2004, 02:00 AM
Are you guys sure this is safe? I think I read somewhere that if you drink pure R.O. water, you will need to take mineral supplements or the R.O. water will actually "rob" your body of trace elements, and make your bones weaker, also it has no fluoride, so you have to watch how you care for your teeth. I'm not sure where I heard this, or if there's any truth to it, but based on the fact that keeping Discus in pure R.O. without any addatives causes some problems - maybe there's a grain of truth to it?

LOL. That's one of my favorites.

RO and DI water are slightly corrosive to some materials so is most tap water. That's why pipes rust. That's why plastic containers are preferred to store water in.

Anyone who's seen me can tell you that there's no Trace mineral depletion going on here (6'3" 275lbs..). I've been drinking RO water for years and years. So have my wife and kids (my 44" 45 lb 4 year old daughter, and my 36" 35 lb 21 month old son) Absolutely no health problems from water. There's Plenty of nutrients in your food. If you're worried, there's always multivitamins.

Keeping discus in pure RO water is not a good idea as they will probably die from the pH crash before any kind of mineral depletion takes place.

Keepin' it light ya all,
RandalB