PDA

View Full Version : What to do...what to do...

GoodMike
02-12-2004, 10:12 AM
as you know, in just over a week im getting the starter package from jeff. the tank they will be in the ph is 6.8, which is lower than Jeffs water. Should i bring the ph up in the tank, because im treating it to be lower, cause thats what i have my other discus in, and i thought i should keep the parameters the same between the two tanks, cause later on im gonna move some fish around. do the younger discus do better in lower or higher ph? when these discus are older, im gonna be using they tank i raised them in for breeding i hope....so what ph should i keep it at????????

M0oN
02-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Most people would agree that you're better off keeping them in what your tap water's parameters are, assuming the pH isn't sky high...using chemicals to lower and buffer pH can turn into a giant mess if you're not careful.

If you do go that route then keep the discus in that water, whatever you plan on having them in in the long run is what you should adapt them to now.

Rick_May
02-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Don't do anything, the fish with be gratefull just to get out of the bags. Trust me, if you try matching the water in the bags it would be NASTY!

brewmaster15
02-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi Mike,
whats your tap waters parameters..pH, hardness etc... and how are you lowering it

I'm firm believer that the less you mess with your pH (unless you are breeding them)...The better off your fish will be.

as for the adapting..I wouldn't worry too much about it.. Discus are pretty tough critters. :)
-al

Carol_Roberts
02-12-2004, 01:47 PM
It's easier for water changes if the bulk of your disucs are kept in aged tap water. I only use an RO mix for breeders. If your aged tap is 7.0 to 7.5 I'd just start adding aged tap to your tanks to bring them up.

I know Jeff has hard water, but does he ship in high pH water?

GoodMike
02-12-2004, 06:52 PM
My tap water is close to 8 in ph...the hardness is..well takes 3 drops to get the test green. I have been using Muratic acid for quite a while to lower ph with my other discus...i think it works great...DONT GET ANY ON YOU...i had an accident last night while using it..OUCH! anyways, i dont kwno what to do...adjust them to lower ph now..or later. My water parameters do not change when i age the water at all.

M0oN
02-13-2004, 01:39 AM
Mike, I live out by Jeff and it sounds like your water parameters are pretty close to ours, with the exception of gH. (My gH registers in at 21). pH is around 7.8 I believe.

My discus do wonderfully in tap water, as do Jeff's.

You can do whatever you like, but the easiest answer would be to just use your tap water. If there's ever a problem that needs a quick solution you won't have to go about buffering etc. etc.

Be sure that your pH doesn't change with aging...set out a cup of water overnight and test the pH after about 24 hours, see if it's different from what it was straight from the tap.

If it is then you'll need to fill up a trash can or somthing with a lid on it and aerate the water for a while, this will also help you save money on dechlorinator as it eliminates chlorine. If you're not sure if you have chloramine in your waters then call up the number on your water bill and ask them about it.

Hope that helps,
Jason

Carol_Roberts
02-13-2004, 01:47 AM
Your water is pretty soft if it only takes 3 drops to turn green. Be careful with the acid - Watch that you don't end up with a pH crash.

paulmat
02-13-2004, 08:09 AM
I agree with Carol and the others,just let them get use to your water.

Paul

GoodMike
02-13-2004, 12:06 PM
ok....so now i will slowly bring the ph in that tank up. What about my other discus that are breeding...should i leave them in lower ph???? and if i do get pairs out of my new discus when they mature, i will be using the tank they are in for breeding, should i lower ph then? or is 7.8 fine for breeding??? is there any problem with higher ph that i should watch for?? Thanks again

Carol_Roberts
02-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Your water is soft enough for domestics to breed in. Mine breed in 7.6

GoodMike
02-13-2004, 12:56 PM
should i just leave my tank that has 2 breeding discus alone at 6.8? or should i slowly bring it up too? ill start bringing my other tanks ph up.

Carol_Roberts
02-13-2004, 02:51 PM
It's the hardness that stops the eggs from hatching rather than the pH. If you are getting fry now you will most likely get fry in aged tap water.

Just stop adding acid to your change water. Circulate the water until the pH stabilizes and do regular water changes. In no time at all your discus will be swimming in the higher pH aged tap water.

GoodMike
02-13-2004, 03:28 PM
THANKS A BUNCH CAROL....now i dont have to burn myself with acid again ;)

GoodMike
02-13-2004, 03:31 PM
i have one more question, do i need to age my tap water if the ph stays the same from when it comes out of the tap and after you age it. My water is about 7.8 out of the tap and the same 24 hours later.

Carol_Roberts
02-13-2004, 04:58 PM
How about chlorine or chloramines? Do you have one of those and how do you get rid of it?

GoodMike
02-13-2004, 06:05 PM
i know i have chlorine, and i use stress coat to get rid of it

GoodMike
02-14-2004, 01:58 PM
am i doing things wrong??? or will it be okay since parameters dont change???

Carol_Roberts
02-14-2004, 02:18 PM
I always think it's good to store water, add dechlor and circulate it a bit to add oxygen before adding to tank. But I don't have soft water, so you should see what others like April and Mat advise