View Full Version : Im going crazy!

beta
02-13-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm going crazy, my favourite discus died suddenly without any reason and now my pigeon bloods are tailstanding!!!They have not eaten for 4 days! Somebody pls help me!! :'(

beta
02-13-2004, 12:28 PM
When i came back from work i found these guys floating on the surface but still alive, I moved them to a shallow tub and added some rock salt and found them dead the next day. I lost both my heckels :'(

beta
02-13-2004, 12:30 PM
The last one that died :'(

Carol_Roberts
02-13-2004, 02:59 PM
I don't see any bloat. Poison?

zoids
02-14-2004, 08:31 AM
Beta,

I noticed that the eyes of the fishes were coated with a white film. Can you check the PH of your water? Was there any strong smell of chlorine when you did water change? or any indication that the fishes were in stress?

If the water has poison, i'm not sure if this would work but you could run your tank water through carbon to get rid of the toxins.

Roy

ping
02-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Hi Beta,

Are there sliming off with your discus on the first picture ?
I had water problem before in my adult discus tank. I did water changes 70% with straight tap water (i was run out of aged water ;D) and i had similar problem like you. Some of mine were tailstanding, but others were more like cant control themselves. They were sliming off hours later after w/c.

Your dead discus looked like mine from other tanks (water changes with aged water), their eyes might be the same (cant remember exactly, mine was too small and lost too many). Those discus that i lost were at size around 2". Their symptoms: stop eating and body turned dark with brown face, the next day, they died. They were healthy before. Other symptoms (only happened once) : darting very badly.

I lost 50-100 in 2 months and my last 2 batches fry were 90% deformed :(.

I dont have that problem anymore. Thanks to the help and discussion from many members at this forum :). It has been a month already, and i dont lost any single discus. Well, i lost two at hospital tank but they were there due to previous water problem ;D.

This is what i do, i put activated carbon in 2000 litres/hour internal power filter and let it run in my 170g storage tank for 1 day before do water changes. I double my dechlor dosage, put more bubbles inside the tank :). I change my carbon every 3 weeks. Just to be safe ;)

Hope that activated carbon works for you. Sorry for your lost. Hope everything will be back to normal soon :).
Please let me know how it goes. :)

Regards,
Ronny

beta
02-14-2004, 01:30 PM
I think i lost the first batch of discus due to water poisoning. I had an alloy mesh on top of my tank which looks as if its corroded due to contact with the water droplets! something could have dripped from the mesh and poisoned the water.

The ph of the water is around 7.8 after aging. I'll add some activated carbon to see if it makes it better. Thanks guys!

tom.s
02-14-2004, 03:33 PM
Beta sorry for your loss