PDA

View Full Version : Computerized Fish Log

LEM504
02-14-2004, 06:45 AM
Anyone out there have a good system for keeping a log?
I would like to get something going on the computer, but having brain fade.
In the past, I worked with relational data bases, and they would be perfect for a project like this. Unfortunately, the programs I used are obsolete, and I’m down to Plain Jane Microsoft Data Base. Not interested in spending the money on another high dollar program that will wind up in the garbage can in a couple of years.

I wind up with too many fields, and they are never the right size, if I have long notes.

It would be nice, to sort history on one fish, or track progress on a particular tank.
Maybe I’m just beating a dead horse, and need to go back to paper notebooks.

Larry

Dave C
02-14-2004, 08:23 AM
I use a spreadsheet. You can add columns whenever you want, assign tank #'s if you want to sort by tank, add columns for pH/amm/nit/nit etc. Just keep adding to it as a long list and sort when you want to isolate specific info. For long notes you can paste a comment wherever you like. It also works good for financial logs, i.e. the cost of your fish, fish on hand etc.

blaze
02-14-2004, 10:08 PM
try AQUALOG http://www.joejaworski.com/aqualog/

i never actually used it before though

ShadowDiscus
02-15-2004, 05:53 AM
Hey Larry:
If you want help to set up a basic ERD for MS Access PM Me and i will help.:thumbsup:
Kevin

keith_cny
02-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi Larry,

I've used Larry's Aqualog some and think its pretty good. Depends what you want to use it for. Check it out before you generate your own.

keith

Rob
02-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Funny, I've been working on a program (VB) using an Access DB.
I started with a way of storing images to keep track of Tanks and Fish and other creatures, and have started to work on a calendar like system for logs and tasks (similar to Outlook).
I should be ready to start Beta testing it in about a month, and will be looking for testers and input as to what features everyone would like. This program will be freeware, I am only developing it for my own needs.
Any input as to layout and functionality I would appreciate.

Rick_May
02-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Rob,
When you get to beta let me know. I'm also a programmer and I could help you out.

Rob
02-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Excellent, I could use any help I can get.
Programming is just a hobby for me even though i've been doing it for 25 years, my career is in network engineering and support.

cesar_1304
02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Another programmer here... let me know if you need any help sounds like a cool project to work on and you can definatley get alot of good input and feedback for usage from this board...

-Cesar
VB6/VB.Net/ASP

ronrca
02-19-2004, 11:00 AM
I have a spreadsheet at home that is very good. I'll try to e-mail it so someone can try it and see if they like it. ;) You can create your own if you want to but this spreadsheet already contains the basics plus will create graphs and such!

korbi_doc
02-20-2004, 01:23 PM
:bounce2: I just use a green, 8 column analysis book from Staples. Plenty of room for each tank, just put notes on for extra situations. Checked in that Aqualog, or something like it & a pc program might be fun for awhile, but I don't think I'd sit down to feed it every day with all I have to do, so just penciling in the days work is easier for me & the book is right out in front of me to use. Maybe I'm just lazy, but if it has to be done daily it better be easy, just like W/Cs. lol, Dottie ;D ;D

LEM504
02-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Dottie,
Got to admit it - you hit the nail on the head!

From the looks of the junk on my computer, I have made three attempts at this.
A couple lasted for two months!
After dragging hoses all over the house, I don’t feel like messing with it.
If there is a major problem brewing, ( seems like there is always some sort of crisis with these things ) my brain is somewhere else.

Think I will narrow it down to an inventory of fish. That way I can keep track of the odd names, approximate age, and where I got them.

What has worked best for me, is a Dry Erase felt tip marker, by each set of tanks.
Just write a quick note on the glass. If something earth shattering is going on, at least
I have something to go back to - four days later - ( Don’t think I would try this on plastic)
There WAS a time, when I could find things stuffed in the brain! :-[

Seems to me, Computers were going to eliminate paper work. Now I buy paper and printer refills by the case, and have two full waste baskets under the desk ( not counting the pile on top )

There ain’t no free lunch!

Larry

ronrca
02-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Hi Larry,
If you are still interested in the computer log, I can e-mail it to you! Let me know! ;)