PDA

View Full Version : Should I still be patient?

Debo
02-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Ok here is the story. I had discus in a 125. 2 pairs formed. Both pairs laid eggs 3 or 4 times in the Com Tank. I set them each up in a 29 gallon tank. 1 pair Marlbros laid eggs 1 time all turned white. The other pair BD and Turk SS. never laid eggs once moved. In the beginning the tanks were appart.I moved them side by side,so that they could see each other. Lots of dancing charging. No egg action. So I covered one end and would tease the couples every now and then, By uncovering for a day or so and cover. Kind of like Flashing ;D
Well nothing happened. So I took what I believe to be another male BD and put it in the tank with the BD/SS pair. Lots of push around from the BD's. Took out the extra and they laid eggs. All Turned white. Now all these discus I know are aleast 2 years old. I would think they would be old enough to be furtile. I don't see what I believe to be males make alot of pass over the eggs. The depositers on what I believe to be male are tiny compared to the females. Do I just have not good males? Should I put them back in com. tank see what happens? Or wait ?
Deb O
They have been in their tanks 5 months

Carol_Roberts
02-14-2004, 12:38 PM
If males are not making passes over the eggs (touching them) they will not be fertile. Have you ever seen black eggs? Are you sure your water is soft enough?

alex_m
02-14-2004, 01:09 PM
IMO you are disturbing the fish too much.

IMO you need to wait for a few spawns.

IMO you can also take the eggs out and hatch them artificially.

alex

Debo
02-14-2004, 02:07 PM
Water is 100 to 107 PPM 3gh to3.24gh. PH 7.5. I have not seen black eggs. BD/SS did not eat this last batch of eggs but they all turned white. The female is trying to get rid of them but the male fights her off. The BD Male does make a few passes but not much.

Carol_Roberts
02-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Your water is fine . . .

slicksta
02-14-2004, 09:01 PM
if you have a little larger tank say around a 50g...why not put all of them in one tank and see if you get any to pair up......then you could remove the others if you get wigglers...
just a thought....