PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to treat?

trice
02-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Hello:
I have 4 new discus (3 jeuveniles and one adult) in a 55 gallon planted tank. This tank has been up about 3 months so the other fish are a few starter fish and one bristlenose pleco. I brought my new discus home on Friday (3 days ago), and all but one seem to be doing fine. One of the small ones tends to stay hidden, is darker in color, tends to keep his left front fin clamped down, and occasionally has appeared to be rubbing against plants.
I have both Paragon I and II in the house. Do I need to treat? Is it gill flukes? I haven't seen him poop yet.
Ph 7.0-7.2 , Nitrite 0, ammonia 0, Temp 84 deg.
Thanks.

Carol_Roberts
02-16-2004, 01:14 PM
Could be they came with some kind of external parsites. Hard to treat in planted tanks - parasites will hide in gravel. Heat, salt and increased water changes are always first line of defense.

trice
02-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Carol:
Thanks for the reply. Will medicines hurt the plants? Is this very contageous? How long would you give it before adding medicines? Thanks again.
Tammy

alex_m
02-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi,

did you add your new discus to the tank with the old fish?

alex

Carol_Roberts
02-16-2004, 02:13 PM
You've only had all the discus three days? I would try heat (88 degrees), salt (1 or 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons) and daily water changes of 30% - 50% with aged water. This could just be stress from the move. IF scratching continues try formalin

trice
02-17-2004, 01:41 AM
Hello:
I have raised the temp to about 88 deg, added salt at 1 tbs/10 gal. The one discus is still very dark, keeps one fin clamped, and is not eating. Earlier I wondered if it was gill flukes because he scratched a couple times...but he hasn't scratched as much as just hid in the plants. Could it be something else? Would it hurt to go ahead and treat the whole tank with medicine? I don't have a hospital tank. Will medicines hurt a planted tank?
In answer to alex's question, yes I did add the new fish to the old fish.

Carol_Roberts
02-17-2004, 02:10 AM
I don't know anything about plants and how they are affected by medication like formalin.