PDA

View Full Version : Urgent...need help with sick discus'

brettg
02-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi,

Not sure what to do.When discus breathe there is what appears to be a velvet type fungus blowing out ??? Some of the discus are only using one gill??? Water parameters are good. Discus are dark and sluggish. Please don't suggest more salt...it's already been tried without any success. I have some Kanacyn at home, would this help? I'm going to do a water change in hopes that will be helpful but I think they are going to need more.

Pls help...I'm growing out some juveniles that have thus far done very well. I don't want to lose all I've got.

Also have some Melafix and Aquarisol but am willing to go out and get whatever might be suggested.

Thanks for your help

Ardan
02-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Hi,
try formalin, 2 to 3 drops per gallon.
50% wc after 8 hours.
Use extra aeration
Keep tank clean
temp 84

It should help if flukes or bacteria.
You can repeat every 2 or 3 days up to 2 wks.

monitor water as it may affect bio filter. do extra wc's if necessary

hth

brettg
02-17-2004, 12:41 AM
sounds like you're thinking gill flukes, is it true that if it were gill flukes, that you would be able to see them?

fcdiscus
02-17-2004, 01:32 AM
You cannot see flukes unless you scrape and use a microscope. The formalin will help your situation. Frank

tag
02-17-2004, 12:43 PM
If we're not certain what's causing the sickness would it be harmful to use an broad spectum med like Kanacyn? Just trying to collect some med info for future use.

Carol_Roberts
02-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Try the formalin first for gill problems. Kanacyn is for internal bacterial infections