PDA

View Full Version : Be prepared..

brewmaster15
02-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Hi all,
I thought this might be a good place to ask for everyone to share their tips as to what they do in advance to prepare for a problem.

I woke this am, and was doing my water changes when I was puzzled by a lack of hot water in my fish room.. I checked everywhere else and the water was fine, so I checked the hot water valves and sure enough the one to my sink was shot...The rubber gasket was falling apart and blocked the flow. This was 4:00 am....what do you do.... well if you are prepared you crack open your plumbing kit, and fix the problem. I was prepared . Not because I was smart...but because I was not smart the time before :)

some tips...
1) look at your water supply system and your air and heat systems... make a list of parts you might need to fix a break down, and keep a kit. It might save you time and aggravation. This morning my kit saved me hours.
2)medications...really think hard if you should stock some.LFS may not have what you need when you need it, and mail order is usually a few days . At the least..make a list of who normally has what you need and ships quick.
3) Have a few spare heaters on hand, and a qt tank
4) Telephone numbers... make yourself a list of you friend and mentors incase you need to call someone.
5) Think battery backups, and emergency...what would you do?

so.. what would you all do to prepared for a problem?

-al

Tad
02-18-2004, 10:50 PM
Al,
First of all I want to thank you so very much for your assistance today, dealing with a health issue, with some of my fish. As a result of our talk and your help not only are my fish doing a lot better but it got me to order, additional medical supplies that are not readily available at my LFS. I will certainly from this point forward, keep "hard to get" items on hand as its definately better to "Be Prepared".

As for medical supplies, I myself currently keep on hand: Praziquantel, Metronidazole, potassium permanganate, formalin, Neomycin, Maracyn, Clout, and of course Salt.

As for accessories I keep spare heaters, AC filters, Hydro sponges, air pumps, powerheads, airline hose, carbon, UV Sterilizer, QT tanks (10 and 20 gallon), spare RO filters,hoselines, and fittings, electrical powerstrips, and airstones.

As for mentor phone numbers a list of valued friends like Al ;D

Im sure I missed some things that I need to have on hand as I hate to be running around during an emergency since I do that as a living already LOL..

Again Al many thanks for today!
Tad

April
02-19-2004, 01:09 AM
I learnt the lesson of having phone numbers on hand after simply was shut down for a bit. all of a sudden..i realized all my contact numbers were on simply!! carys , brews, ryans, jasons. jeffs, everyone who has their server here or i presumed i could get their numbers online. and i wasnt alone! i got phone calls asking me for numbers of others. as they thought they had them also. so.. a little phone book would be good. puters arent always working.
i keep flubendazole, metro, prazzi and salt and a few antibiotics on hand. like to have furan 2 around and a few others. kanacyn is good to have for internal bacterial infections. any i find that are hard to get . ive done the running around to each lfs and buying up their available stock. gets costly .

02-19-2004, 03:47 AM
Oh, you're sooo right Al!! Great idea. I'm working on my "large list" at the moment. Thanks. --Angie--

brewmaster15
02-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi Tad,

Anytime my friend!. Glad to help! :)

-al

gump
02-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Great post Al. You are right in being prepared as much as you can. I vowed to get a generator after Huricanne Juan. I Never got it!!! I may be out of power soon too!! Next week for sure... This is what I woke up to this morning..
Pierre

Larry Grenier
02-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Actually Al....... first thing I'd do in come to Simply and say

HELP!

M0oN
02-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Nice thread Al, I try and be prepared for every possible scenario I can, from having a battery powered air pump to keeping some 30 gallon storage containers at a friends house in case of plumbing problems...unfortunately there's a lot of stuff you wouldn't even think of until it happens...

M0oN
02-19-2004, 05:22 PM
Great post Al. You are right in being prepared as much as you can. I vowed to get a generator after Huricanne Juan. I Never got it!!! I may be out of power soon too!! Next week for sure... This is what I woke up to this morning..
Pierre

Y'know somtimes I wish I lived out in the mountains instead of Southern California...then I see things like that...us city folk couldn't go a day without having a car!

Carol_Roberts
02-19-2004, 05:39 PM
My medicine cabinet ;D

Carol_Roberts
02-19-2004, 05:42 PM
Extra heaters, airpumps, inc. battery operated, filters, sponges, tubing, hose quick connects, etc. etc.

SLY
02-19-2004, 10:05 PM
hehe carol..nice clay chinese figurines you have.

Carol_Roberts
02-20-2004, 12:55 AM
I collect the figurines - especially the ones with plums ;D

henryD
02-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Those plums are suppose to bring you long life. Carol you have an IM.

Henry