PDA

View Full Version : snakeskin and leopard crosses

JerryR
02-18-2004, 11:08 PM
When crossing a leopard discus with a snakeskin what proportion would you expect to be leopard snakes and how might you expect the rest come out?

usdiscus
02-22-2004, 10:54 AM
You might get the following, 25% leop, 25% ss, 25% mixed ( some of each characteristics) and possibly pig. blood mix. You see, it really depends on going back to the parents of each to determine what was used to get to the leopard or ss. The problem is some people look at a fish and say its a ss or leopard when in fact it may be neither, or one or, etc. Genetics depends on parent background, % of spots, etc. The only true way to find out is to mate them, but PLEASE dont sell them as a chicago ss, or whatever you name them, because thats how the discus has been exploited by mixing without using fixed strains. Tim

JerryR
02-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the info, the reason I was asking was that I have a very nice male blue snakeskin that I have crossed with a turq, he was an excellent father (raised 70 fry on his own) and I am looking for a female leopard to breed with him. Leopard snakes are one of my favourite discus but are very expensive to purchase.