PDA

View Full Version : Newbie or not Newbie...

DiscusinDaytona
02-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi and thanks again for the warm welcome!

I have been reading postings on Simply for so many hours my eyes are being sucked from my head! I don't consider myself "new", since I've kept Discus for 7-8 yrs now. Everything I know, I read or learned by experience(not always the best).

A couple of questions for now, because I TRULY VALUE you opinions.

1. Does anyone add trace elements? I have been for some years now. Is it a waste of $, or does it help?
2. I have always maintained low pH, 5.5. I had never heard of running the pH levels I have read lately! :o Would it hurt my fish to slowly raise the pH and stop buffers, etc?
3. Never have used tetra color bits, have read a lot here about them lately. Seems all positive? My fish, I admit are spoiled and finicky. Almost all live or frozen. They do pick at Azoo Discus pellets. I see their on sale at DrsF&S. Worth a try?

Thanks 4 everything :-*
Tina

Carol_Roberts
02-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Hi Tina:
1. Does anyone add trace elements? I have been for some years now. Is it a waste of $, or does it help?
waste
2. I have always maintained low pH, 5.5. I had never heard of running the pH levels I have read lately! Would it hurt my fish to slowly raise the pH and stop buffers, etc?
My fish are in pH 7.8 It's easy to raise pH in the tank - just do daily water changes with your aged tap water, soon they will be swimming in 100% aged tap
3. Never have used tetra color bits, have read a lot here about them lately. Seems all positive? My fish, I admit are spoiled and finicky. Almost all live or frozen. They do pick at Azoo Discus pellets. I see their on sale at DrsF&S. Worth a try? I feed them. They also enhance red colors in fish

DiscusDawg
02-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Yes I use discus trace, I also feed color bits alot, and the ph out the tap is like 7.4. Fish seem to be doing great. HTH ;D

paulmat
02-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Listen to Carol ;D Paul

02-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Yup...Carol pretty much nailed it ;D

1. Without a doubt....a wast of money!

2. Ive kept em and raised em in a Ph as high as 8 no troubles at all (and so have a sh!tload of others) Some people claim thier discus display better colors at a lower ph But the difference is minimal IMO. The hassel you save NOT messing with the water is well worth the small sacrifice. Breeding? Well....thats another story all together.
Try raising the Ph as Carol suggested...If your not happy...with the results, switch back!

3. Tetra bits...one of the better dry foods out there. I also find they dont swell as much as other brands which can cause blockage if the fish happen to overeat.

Tony

April
02-20-2004, 11:02 PM
minerals added is good if you have extremely soft water. but yours sounds like its fine. you were just lowering it. im sure theyd do great with your water out of the tap.
great to have you on the forum by the way. :wave:
oh another dry food i really like and my fish is sera discus granules. ive had good success with those. similar to tetra bits.
well let us know how it goes with raising your ph . im sure it willl be fine.

alex_m
02-21-2004, 02:59 AM
Sorry,

Trace elements are good if your using D/I and want no polution from tap water.

I use it for breeders.

alex

DiscusinDaytona
02-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Hi all!

The pH raising has gone well. I increased it a little each day. Not sure, my PB didn't eat after first increase through today. But, this am started eating. Don't know if it was just a coincidence or not. Everyone is doing fine at 7.2! 8) That will save a lot in buffers and softners.

After pH reaches tap pH, do you still test all the time? Just once in a while?

Thanks!

Tina

ValorG
02-26-2004, 09:37 PM
I dont test unless I see problems developing with the fish. i tink that the more i test the more i have to needlessly worry.

Carol_Roberts
02-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Once it has settled in and you are confident you know how your water reacts then you only test every once in a while.